928, or 928S

perpetual

There have been a few pop up on gumtree of late, but all seem to have gone now. Prices of late seem to be on the climb so a good time to grab one :)

Good luck with the hunt and project as well as welcome to the forum!!

Hi Everyone,

And I just wondered if anyone knows of an old 928 anywhere that is a non-runner, in need of a rebuild ?. I need a bit of a project to see me thru winter, when it comes !. Pref around Sydney.

Just a suggestion, you might want to think this through. The difference in cost between a running car and a wreck is not significant. Bringing a 928 back to life is not for the faint hearted - interior trim, rubbers and seals are very expensive and can be hard to find. Paint is tricky - steel, aluminium and plastic paint surfaces; engines are complex with a complex vacuum system to deal with. Electrics are on par with the space shuttle in terms of complexity and wiring. 

They are great cars and significant bang for the buck, rock solid once in running order but they need to be properly maintained. 

Dont underestimate the value of a running car that can be improved upon as opposed to a resto project that may cost a kings ransom to resurrect. 

Just my two cents worth

dave

Just a suggestion, you might want to think this through. The difference in cost between a running car and a wreck is not significant. Bringing a 928 back to life is not for the faint hearted - interior trim, rubbers and seals are very expensive and can be hard to find. Paint is tricky - steel, aluminium and plastic paint surfaces; engines are complex with a complex vacuum system to deal with. Electrics are on par with the space shuttle in terms of complexity and wiring. 

They are great cars and significant bang for the buck, rock solid once in running order but they need to be properly maintained. 

Dont underestimate the value of a running car that can be improved upon as opposed to a resto project that may cost a kings ransom to resurrect. 

Just my two cents worth

dave

Oh, oh, you're in big trouble once Tazzie reads this...

I fully concur with what you said.

A "project" 928 might end in bankruptcy and divorce or worse. Alternatively , if successful you will enjoy a thicker mane of chest hair than Burt Reynolds ever did. 

You lambasted me for a comment very similar to Dave's; "Electrics are on par with the space shuttle in terms of complexity and wiring."

Have you now capitulated to this oh so obvious fact?  Or do they remain, in your view, preschooler-simple?

You lambasted me for a comment very similar to Dave's; "Electrics are on par with the space shuttle in terms of complexity and wiring."

Have you now capitulated to this oh so obvious fact?  Or do they remain, in your view, preschooler-simple?

The space shuttle is far more complex. They have a vacuum electric toilet.

There is nothing mysterious about the 928 electrics. Sophisticated yes , lots of relays and thus wires. Gauge cluster and onboard warning system derived from a de Havilland aircraft. But fundamentally nothing a keen enthusiast can't figure out. With a 928 or 928S after 30+ years some old wires , relays , fuses and the like may be baked and corroded. Not the car's fault though.

It's not a Morris Minor in construction or performance. Now that IS a lamb bastard!

Archived