Windscreen washer problems

Bluboy007

Has anyone had issues with windscreen washers that don't pump.

My 96 993 had poor pressure when I bought it, after changing motor tubing and valves is now worse.  Do you need to prime the system some how or is it likely to be the switch gear on the wheel.  Any help / suggestions are most welcome 

It sounds more like a failing pump or a blockage in the jets .....

A small paper clip straightened out is ideal for unblocking the jets if thats the problem.

If the pump motor is working when you push the switch, it is unlikely that is your problem .....

That's what I guessed, and changed the pump, of coarse I had to put a new connector etc on and am wondering wether I made a dry joint.  Next time I get the reservoir out I'll drive it directly from the battery to make sure.  The jets work if I can get fluid to them.

Is the reservoir clean ?  Years of built up grime from detergents breaking down and fungal build up can block the water pick-up.  

Is there a kink in the pipe somewhere, including the internal pickup tube ?

Is the pickup tube picking up from the bottom of the tank?  Mine wasn't.

I don't think there is a kink in the pipe I have replaced all except the one that goes from the reservoir to trunk lid, which seems to be a complicated job.  on my car the pump sits pretty much at the bottom of the tank / reservoir and on and off I do get the odd squirt.

I'm installing a scissor lift soon, once in ill get the reservoir out and sort it once and for all hopefully 

Archived