How much oil

Blu,

Your oil is fine as it satisfies ACEA A4/B4 and therefore meets the HTHS spec that Porsche recommend and has the other characteristics we want too. ( I suspect you're actually using Liqui Moly 10w 60.)  

If there is a puddle of oil on top of the cooling shroud and below the intake manifold I suspect that is from the oil breather and it may be the result of overfilling your oil tank.

If you are doing lots of short trips it's going to be really hard to get any reliable oil consumption data because of the possibility of fuel dilution and getting it to temperature.

993's having the most infuriating dipstick in automotive history doesn't help either!

Could I suggest you use the exact same location each time to do a check?  Your garage if possible otherwise the same location in your local service station forecourt.

Could I suggest you forget the dipstick and just aim for "2pm" on your dash gauge.  ie not totally full but above halfway.  When topping up the oil, turn your parking lights on so you can see the illuminated gauge through the rear window as you sloooooowwwwwllllllllyyyyyyyy add oil once you get close to the 2pm mark.

If you find it is overfilled, don't be too hard on yourself as you are not the first!        

Archived