Exhaust Tips / Suspension for 996 - Ideas?

Jim45

Look like they are these:

Front: http://www.design911.com/Bilstein-B4-FRONT-Shock-Absorber-22-147448/prod21635/

180 GBP / 235 EUR / 353 AUD

Rear: http://www.design911.com/Bilstein-B4-REAR-shock-absorber-24-147644-VNE-E764/prod21636/

166 GBP / 216 EUR / 326 AUD

For all 4 its about what Macca paid for the same thing with springs and delivered!

Score...!

Those Vogtland discount massively at check out!

Jim

Yes, equally I was very surprised. I thought they would be Vogtland shocks. My phone camera is hopeless and can't take a clear photo of the indented Bilstein logo/ part numbers etc but they definitely are. I really dont understand how it can be so cheap either. I originally inquired to Vogtland AU distributor for the shock/spring combo and he advised; none in stock, 4 -6 week turn around and about a $2.4k price tag (not including shipping). For the price very happy but can only judge once fitted and driven. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, equally I was very surprised. I thought they would be Vogtland shocks. My phone camera is hopeless and can't take a clear photo of the indented Bilstein logo/ part numbers etc but they definitely are. I really dont understand how it can be so cheap either. I originally inquired to Vogtland AU distributor for the shock/spring combo and he advised; none in stock, 4 -6 week turn around and about a $2.4k price tag (not including shipping). For the price very happy but can only judge once fitted and driven. 

Any news!

Keen to see fitment...

Jim.

Was going to install this week but decided to purchase some strut mounts (from OS -2 weeks until delivered). Thought to take advantage whilst the struts are being replaced. Have no idea what condition the mounts are in - no knocking sounds to evident their failure but the lower springs will put more strain on them so best to do it now. I was going to go with adjustable but was worried about the possibility of clunk noises etc, I went with lemforder strut mounts (with bearings etc) basically aftermarket OEM style rubber mounts. FYI the goodies seem to be Elephant-http://www.elephantracing.com/suspension/camberplate/996-997-quickchange-camberplate.htm and Tarett http://www.tarett.com/items/996-997-products/996-997-991-suspension/996-997-991-monoballs~bushings/996-986-front-camber-plate-set-996fcplta-detail.htm , K-mac have some for $500aud but their reputation is terrible. 

Will post pics when Vogtlands are in.:)

• 1 month later...

Was going to install this week but decided to purchase some strut mounts (from OS -2 weeks until delivered). Thought to take advantage whilst the struts are being replaced. Have no idea what condition the mounts are in - no knocking sounds to evident their failure but the lower springs will put more strain on them so best to do it now. I was going to go with adjustable but was worried about the possibility of clunk noises etc, I went with lemforder strut mounts (with bearings etc) basically aftermarket OEM style rubber mounts. FYI the goodies seem to be Elephant-http://www.elephantracing.com/suspension/camberplate/996-997-quickchange-camberplate.htm and Tarett http://www.tarett.com/items/996-997-products/996-997-991-suspension/996-997-991-monoballs~bushings/996-986-front-camber-plate-set-996fcplta-detail.htm , K-mac have some for $500aud but their reputation is terrible. 

Will post pics when Vogtlands are in.:)

Any progress Macca?

Cheers Jim.

Any progress Macca?

Cheers Jim.

I still haven't done it. (I know I am a shocker). I had plans then everything got carried away, I am relocating family this weekend (demolishing house and building) so I will be back on track in a couple of weeks. :)  

• 1 month later...

Off topic of the thread title - put the suspension in on Thursday/Friday - rides well and am quite happy with the difference in handling - not too stiff/not too soft. It's a 30mm drop.  (Pls excuse the bad photography) 

after-min.jpg

Off topic of the thread title - put the suspension in on Thursday/Friday - rides well and am quite happy with the difference in handling - not too stiff/not too soft. It's a 30mm drop.  (Pls excuse the bad photography) 

Looks good Macca. I was going to pull the trigger on a set of locally sourced Ohlins as I couldn't bring myself to buy "budget" coil-overs from overseas for my C2 and then be stranded for weeks if they needed returning at any point. I've think I've looked at every thread in the universe in regard to suspension upgrades and have got a bit over it tbh!!

Its probably starting to make more sense to spend the $$ on shocks / springs and the money I save on refreshing other parts / control arms, coffin arms, drop links, top mounts etc. More pikkies would be good.

You should start another b4 and after thread!

Jim.

Looks good Macca. I was going to pull the trigger on a set of locally sourced Ohlins as I couldn't bring myself to buy "budget" coil-overs from overseas for my C2 and then be stranded for weeks if they needed returning at any point. I've think I've looked at every thread in the universe in regard to suspension upgrades and have got a bit over it tbh!!

Its probably starting to make more sense to spend the $$ on shocks / springs and the money I save on refreshing other parts / control arms, coffin arms, drop links, top mounts etc. More pikkies would be good.

You should start another b4 and after thread!

Jim.

Thanks mate, I dont really have a great deal of pictures of before and I struggled to compress the photo's just to post the after shot. Need to get motivated to find my dropbox password. :) 

If you can budget the ohlins - why not. I never read a bad thing about them, Would definitely invest in top mounts when replacing suspension. The other bits and pieces can be done gradually.(I have replaced the front/rear links ,top mounts) An expensive process to do the lot but inevitably its something that I will do. 

Forum member Smit2100 posted (italic text below) on a different thread that I went off topic (again sorry) made me blissfully aware of how little I know and how slippery the money can disappear. But in my humble opinion; Smit2100 is like many of the other helpful contributors on this forum (particularly the track junkies) that chime in. They "know their shit".  Maybe P.M him for some guidance. 

"Right now, this is what I intend to order

996 GT3 rear sway bar adjustable
996 GT3 Bushings for rear sway bar
996 GT3 Bushing Swaybar Nut
996 GT3 Bushing Clamp for rear sway bar
996GT3 Rear Lower Control Arm Inner - Adjustable Left
996GT3 Rear Lower Control Arm Inner - Adjustable Right
996GT3 Front Lower Control Arm Inner - Adjustable Left
996GT3 Front Lower Control Arm Inner - Adjustable Right
Rear Lower Control Arm Solid Thrust Arm End Bushing Kit -GENUINE(996)
LCA HEX.NUT hexagon nut M 8 04- M004
LCA WASHER Washer 8,5 X 17 X 6 04- M004
Control Arm - 1mm caster shims - 
Control Arm - 2mm caster shims - 
Control Arm - 3mm caster shims - 
Front Shock Absorber Top Mount Left
Front Shock Absorber Top Mount Right
Front Shock Bearing Plates Left
Front Shock Bearing Plates Right
Front Sway bar Drop Links (for Ohlins Coilovers) Adjustable 
Front sway bar DropLinks (for Ohlins Coilovers) Boot Set of 4
Rear sway Drop Links Adjustable 
Rear sway Drop Links - Boots Set of 4
Rear adjustable toe link steer kit 
Rear adjustable toe link steer kit boots

ohlins R+T coilovers

Note , thinking tarett links all round and customised in black anodised or  grey anaodised colour vs standard supplied red (eg keep stockish looks to an untrained eye even when on a hoist. 

Concerns / issues contemplated

1)upgrade sway bars front and rear vs just rear.   genuine adjustable gt3  vs aftermarket eg eibach full kit front and rear = less landed than web price for a 996 gt3 adjustable rear bar.

2) stock sway bar links = fixed and straight  =  concerned with binding and  bending of stock fixed links particularly if running adjustable sway bars = need adjustable links 

3) need to address tyre wear when ride height dropped  and greater squat = need more toe dial out/ in the rear (thinking circa gt2 alignment specs but a lower squat ) = adjustable toelinks

4) concerned with parts clashing eg  eg not enough curve in endlinks with new coilovers  to clear front drive axles even with stoc kfixed sway bar. 

5) solid fixed thrust bearing in adjustable gt3 lca's  vs stock rubber

I'll provide an update with what I actually do to sort out my suspension , but unfortunately that won't occur for at least a couple of months down the the track  when I am back in town."

Was going to get a pair custom made but instead of messing about with tips and fabrication thought I might as well let someone else do the development!

Probably going down the Dansk route...

Jim.

• 3 weeks later...

Ordered:

• H&R Street Performance Coil overs
  • Front and rear rotors / pads
  • New Dansk tips.

Pics to follow....

Jim.

hi

I would strongly recommend getting new stock front top shock mounts as a minimum along with front  bearing plates with the coilovers as a minimum (I'd be very surprised if the shock mounts are in good shape.

hi

I would strongly recommend getting new stock front top shock mounts as a minimum along with front  bearing plates with the coilovers as a minimum (I'd be very surprised if the shock mounts are in good shape.

Cheers smit1200 - I was wondering what to get to support the update. I've been looking at Lemforder for the front shock mounts - bearing plate tip is much appreciated. Any suggestions what I might need for the rear?

Cheers - Jim.

While on the suspension topic, I have a set of brand new ST Suspension (made by KW) for 996 that I never got around to installing before selling the car. I've been meaning to put them up for sale soon, along with some Afterhours Cup mufflers I ran for a short while. 

Must get round to taking some pics...

If anyone is after these in the meantime let me know. 

Cheers smit1200 - I was wondering what to get to support the update. I've been looking at Lemforder for the front shock mounts - bearing plate tip is much appreciated. Any suggestions what I might need for the rear?

Cheers - Jim.

rears generally hold up well and don't generally need replacing (mounts and bearings).   I try and stick to genuine Porsche and found hard to beat pricing from sonnen porsche or a price match from fcp Groton (use sonnen pricing) in the US who have great shipping rates.   When I have dropped cars, I find tyre wear increase significantly over a stock setup unless you have adjustability in your control arms / links.   I would spend the cash if on a budget on just rear   adjustable rear toe links so the wheel aligner has some adjustability in the rear when you drop it from stock.  The , the rear will squat a bit and adjustable toe links allows the aligner  to compensate.  Tarett or RSS are the ones I would go with.  I went taret (shouldn't have any duties issues either, eg even if you ordered over 1000, tarett make a lot of their parts so have customs paperwork under the au / usd free trade agreement to avoids duties on their fabbed parts.

rears generally hold up well and don't generally need replacing (mounts and bearings).   I try and stick to genuine Porsche and found hard to beat pricing from sonnen porsche or a price match from fcp Groton (use sonnen pricing) in the US who have great shipping rates.   When I have dropped cars, I find tyre wear increase significantly over a stock setup unless you have adjustability in your control arms / links.   I would spend the cash if on a budget on just rear   adjustable rear toe links so the wheel aligner has some adjustability in the rear when you drop it from stock.  The , the rear will squat a bit and adjustable toe links allows the aligner  to compensate.  Tarett or RSS are the ones I would go with.  I went taret (shouldn't have any duties issues either, eg even if you ordered over 1000, tarett make a lot of their parts so have customs paperwork under the au / usd free trade agreement to avoids duties on their fabbed parts.

• Tarett Adjustable Rear Toe Control Arm
  • Shock Mount (Flange with Bonded Rubber Bushing and Studs, Front Upper) - Porsche OEM
  • Shock Bearing Plate for Front Shock Absorber, Lower, 3mm - OEM

Pelican can do the lot shipped for about $750 USD - fcp Groton are very similar but no Tarett parts and Tarett is cheaper on their site but I get whacked with 2 shipping costs.

Will pull the trigger on the above items from Pelican parts to support the update.

Cheers again.

Jim.

• Tarett Adjustable Rear Toe Control Arm
  • Shock Mount (Flange with Bonded Rubber Bushing and Studs, Front Upper) - Porsche OEM
  • Shock Bearing Plate for Front Shock Absorber, Lower, 3mm - OEM

Pelican can do the lot shipped for about $750 USD - fcp Groton are very similar but no Tarett parts and Tarett is cheaper on their site but I get whacked with 2 shipping costs.

Will pull the trigger on the above items from Pelican parts to support the update.

Cheers again.

Jim.

Duties covered??;) as you appear to be right on cusp.

I've got got coil-overs and rotors coming from UK.....;( - Getting smashed....

But any saving is good....

Jim.

Some pretty good coilover deals on design 911 of late on 4s/996 turbo coilovers.  With a coupon code of basekt1  giving  5% discount, PSS10's delivered for under 2000 gbp and just over 2000 gbp for ohlins (assuming they are still available) is good buying even allowing for an additional circa 20% customs invoice 

PS I thought I brought a very cheap set of ohlins coilivers locally, until they told me after waiting for the 6 week delivery time, they have stopped production (that's the story the local Ohlins distributor is running with)  Lets see of my second purchase over the week end from Design911 yields the same story

Some pretty good coilover deals on design 911 of late on 4s/996 turbo coilovers.  With a coupon code of basekt1  giving  5% discount, PSS10's delivered for under 2000 gbp and just over 2000 gbp for ohlins (assuming they are still available) is good buying even allowing for an additional circa 20% customs invoice 

PS I thought I brought a very cheap set of ohlins coilivers locally, until they told me after waiting for the 6 week delivery time, they have stopped production (that's the story the local Ohlins distributor is running with)  Lets see of my second purchase over the week end from Design911 yields the same story

I got my stuff from there as well - H&R Coil-overs were 1288 GBP - Only thing on the list that is not in stock though. Wish I'd known about the code - already paid!!

Been looking for months and now the PSS10's are cheap as.......

Jim.

• 2 weeks later...

The Dansk tips turned up today along with rotors / pads / filters and side markers.

The tips are really well made and extend a long back so you can't see they are tips from the side view...I'll post pictures once on - they should fill the space in the bumper really well / very chunky.

There is also an adjustment screw on the bottom which will move them forward or backwards to adjust bumper clearance (I think!!).

IMG_0380_zps2hjfknul.jpg

IMG_0381_zpscdykkeqm.jpg

IMG_0383_zpsflyutbgt.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived