996 GT3 4.0

DJM

I am surprised that with the first GT3's getting a little long in the tooth that this isn't done more often! 

Shows how good the Mezger is! There are a reports on RL of guys tearing down their engines after 80K miles with hundreds of track days with only valve guide wear. 

4L in a 996 would be a handful of fun.

Shows how good the Mezger is! There are a reports on RL of guys tearing down their engines after 80K miles with hundreds of track days with only valve guide wear. 

4L in a 996 would be a handful of fun.

I am trying to convince @Robert930 that this is the way to go ^^ but he is set on going the turbo route. 

^^ assuming similar setup, that GT3 4.0 with 420rwhp would be faster around a track than my GT2 3.8TT with 480rwhp.  Just seems to be the way things work - GT3 would have a lower peak speed but better punch out of corners.  Might be different story at Monza or other tracks with loooooong straights...

I am trying to convince @Robert930 that this is the way to go ^^ but he is set on going the turbo route. 

turbos on a gt3 seems a bit weird?

^^ assuming similar setup, that GT3 4.0 with 420rwhp would be faster around a track than my GT2 3.8TT with 480rwhp.  Just seems to be the way things work - GT3 would have a lower peak speed but better punch out of corners.  Might be different story at Monza or other tracks with loooooong straights...

agreed- love my turbos, but some clever blokes noticed a trend in lap times and noticed that for most tracks in Australia the turbo car needs a disproportionately large HP advantage to match or beat N/A versions of similar cars! Interesting stuff, I personally reckon it's just easier for average weekend warrior to push the N/A vehicle harder. 

turbos on a gt3 seems a bit weird?

agreed- love my turbos, but some clever blokes noticed a trend in lap times and noticed that for most tracks in Australia the turbo car needs a disproportionately large HP advantage to match or beat N/A versions of similar cars! Interesting stuff, I personally reckon it's just easier for average weekend warrior to push the N/A vehicle harder. 

I agree with all of that^^, I think a healthy 3.8 punching out 500HP NA would be the go, most reliable also. 

Boost vs N/A is an age old argument, I guess there are many ways to skin a cat and it comes down to personal preference. I personally like to go fast around corners.

@DJM is the GT2 laggy? I wouldn't have thought so but have never had the pleasure of piloting one.

Off the line there is a pause before it really launches but once up and moving, it's not really laggy.  Mine has upgraded turbos which Fitzy and others have said not only increase power but smooth out power delivery.  A standard car might be a bit laggier.

My turbo  RX7 track car is a different beast - no torque off boost and a big turbo means a light switch change in power when boost comes in then wheelspin galore.  Again not the fastest but geez it's a lot of fun and you need to have your wits about you.

heres an in car comparison between the 2:

GT2 at sandown, all pretty civilised really given 580hp or so: 

https://youtu.be/xO3m94ehjCE

RX7 at Sandown.  After a spin and glance of the wall in the first session, wet track and 9 year old crusty semi slicks, I was treading VERY carefully. Exciting ride by comparison.

https://youtu.be/yW3IPG7TTWM

PS Hugh makes an appearance on the straight just as I break my gearbox.....

Archived