964Top End Rebuild (stupid question)

MARTY

Stupid question but what do you get for your money with a top end rebuild? 

What work is done to the engine?

Every now and then my car throws off a bit of smoke,could that be via some oil leak?

Mine has always leaked a bit of oil that doesn't bother me as its a problem for most 964 owners at some point.

Marty

If you give a few more details you will get a more specific and useful answer.

Does it use more than say 1.5 litres per 1000km of engine oil?

Does it leave a few drops of oil on the ground when parked or a puddle?

Is it down on power or idles unreliably?

Does the smoke come from the tailpipe only occasionally on start up?

How many km on the engine?

How long do you want to keep the car?

Has it had a compression test or leak down test?

http://www.world964owners.com/single-post/2015/01/18/964-ENGINE-REBUILDS

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-engine-rebuilding-forum/314761-90-c2-964-rebuild.html

This thread below, is one of the better ones which documents a LOT of the easier oil leak fixes, with the motor in the car.

The second half of the thread, he finds a broken head stud and decides to remove the motor to do a "top end" build.. good reading and makes it a lot easier for the DIYer.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-964-993-technical-forum/644446-964-oil-leaks-fixes-thread.html

Not only is this not a stupid question, but there isn't a single answer. In short, it all depends on who's talking.

It seems that there are 2 schools of thought. I know of a number of US based engine builders who say the "top end" is just the heads, so that means it is the values and guides, cams, rockers etc. However, many consider it to be everything that doesn't require the case being split, so includes pistons, rings and cylinders, plus the associated bearings. You would hope to get away with honing the cylinders and new rings. I personally go with the latter, because once you undo the head studs, I fail to understand why you wouldn't at least check the rings and cylinders. But then again, WTF do I know.

Thanks for the replies guys

Just to answer Peters questions

It leaves a little bit of oil on the floor but not much and definitely doesn't puddle.I just top up the oil every now and then.

Its not down on power and idles like it should,the smoke comes from the tailpipe every now and then when warm but not all the time.

Its got 113,000km's on the clock not had a compression test

As for how long i want to keep it? I am in it for the long term unless the Minister For Finance in our house has other ideas.

Marty

Thats all good news.  On the basis of those answers I don't think you need to go to the expense of a top end rebuild and suspect a degrease and maybe a few gasket replacements is all you really need.

Regards

Archived