2017 Goodwood Festival of Speed

PeterP

just wondering if anybody is planning to attend this event, or indeed has in the past and has any tips about where to stay etc etc. At this stage planning to get over there, and appreciate any feedback .

cheers

Peter

Have been to the FOS 20014 and the Revival 2015 they were unbelievable compared to our events.

Revival - We stayed in Hove, a suburb of Brighton had a hire car but were advised to catch the train to Chichester (about 30 mins) and shuttle bus running to the event continuously, very relaxing and interesting. On our way to the circuit I was glad we didn't drive as the SB had a separate route to cars.

Did the same for the Revival, the crowds are really big (500,000 I think) on a Friday and left from Brighton again, worked out really well.

If you stay in Chichester you will have to book really early and it will be a lot more expensive for accom.

Hope this helps...Howe

I just went to the revival. Did a day trip down from London via car. Drive down was fine, the drive back (Sunday night) was a nightmare, took us  4 hours to get back to central London - should have been 90 -120 minutes max. We left the track around 7pm. The track is in a very beautiful part of England, very classic country side with narrow lanes and stone walls. But, it's essentially in the middle of bloody nowhere so you have next to no accomodation anywhere near the venue - and thousands of people go to these events.   It's located near small villages and large country estates. 

Suggest you need 2 days, it would be a struggle to see it all in 1 day. I could have easily done 2 days at the revival - the retail area alone would take you a day to walk through and they have some very cool stuff. 

I was told reasonable accomodation is booked out 2 years in advance. You might want to start researching. Many people camp, suggest think about a location 60-90 minutes away, towards the coast and do the drive up each day. 

Sorry I can't offer much else

Dave

My plan was to hitchhike from Southbourne to Goodwood,glad I didn't!!

The traffic is nuts...I ended up taking the shuttle bus from Chichester,they offer cheap 4 day tickets and you just drive past all the traffic jams...Can't get any better!

I wouldn't recommend driving a car there

+ 1 on the train & shuttle bus - couldn't agree more that's a far better way to go

Also take a walk around the carpark, we saw some amazing cars from visitors just parked outside......thatw as like a car show on its own.....

I went to the FOS this year and last year for 3 days each time. I'll certainly go again next year. This year we were a group of 5. We all had cars, and we stayed in Basingstoke and drove down each day. The traffic gets heavy near the event but was tolerable except for the day when a fatal accident caused delays. The event itself is incredible - everyone felt the same way. We had parking in the supercar carpark which is right by the entrance. As Ozvino says, this is a great place to hang out even before you enter the main area. 

We really pushed the boat out and got hospitality passes for McLaren House which gave us a base and kept us fed and watered. Not cheap but I'd do that again too. 

I did FOS last year and Revival this year. For FOS I ended up staying near Gatwick (no reason, just the closest place with not silly priced accom) and this year for revival I was near heathrow (flew in from Istanbul the night before, flying to stuttgart early the next morning). Drive in wasn't bad for either event (actually, a bit of fun as there are lots of interesting cars heading down), FOS I left quite late and the drive back to london wasn't torture but revival I left I think about 7:30 and it was pretty bad however there were complicating factors nearing london with M25 and M4 partially shut down. I think unless you're really close other you're driving 20 minutes or 60 minutes won't make too much difference and I would expect that it's already way too late to get anything reasonably priced and reasonably close. I suspect Ozvino is right about accom being booked out 2 years in advance, I wouldn't be surprised if anything good has a standing booking in perpetuity which would get handed down in someone's will. The train and bus option I didn't know, I think I'd still drive to FOS as I found the traffic not too bad for that but that would be a great option for revival as not only was the traffic worse but also at the end of the day it's a much better event for a few drinks.

FOS I think needs two days to get close to seeing everything whereas after one day of Revival I felt satisfied so to speak. Revival is an amazing event and if you're with a non car nut this is the one they'll really have a great time at however I also did Monterey this year and Reunion is a better event for someone only interested in the track stuff. For FOS on one of the days get a grandstand pass but you won't need it both days. For revival I didn't get a grandstand pass in the end and didn't miss it as I spent the day moving around the track but at FOS without one the viewing is less than ideal.

Archived