'normal' 951 versus 'S'

Still searching for a ride.

For Australian conditions is it worth having a 951S over a 'normal' 951? It seems the 951S were optimized for the autobahn or the track. Reading period articles the comfort was compromised somewhat for performance. This, I'm sure will become a subjective discussion. I would only use it for Sunday drives and not intending to track it & I haven't located the local autobahn.

Does anyone have experience with both?

My experience with the "S" up to this moment has been positive, but i can only compare it to a '86 na.

Yes comfort is a little harsh sometimes but only on the roughest roads, on normal everyday non pot holed roads it's fine although firm with not a lot of body roll. We have a 2013 Veloster and that is rougher than my turbo, in fact it's probably the harshest road car i have ever been in.

Performance is outstanding, brakes are awesome, yes the gearing is long and you can sit on 60 in second, power comes on in a rush and takes some getting used to and i don't know how this compares to a standard 951(952 in oz), it is a breathtaking drive though.

Your comparison to a track car is correct Brian, based on the 944 cup car so obviously a harder ride and also with a different diff ratio and a bigger turbo it's not the best car to be driving around town. As a weekend car i would recommend it as out on the open roads the car is effortless to drive and you have the cruise control for the freeway to keep you on the speed limit.

It is a great car to drive and i love it, if you can find a S seriously consider it because you won't be disappointed. You won't be let down by the base turbo either.

Hey Brian - you should find this interesting...

http://944turbo.net/?page_id=56

But be aware it doesn't address the post - "S" 951/2, which has the 250hp engine and most of the "S" mods.  Do a Google search to find lots of conflicting information.  Bruce or Sean Buchanan might be able to add some accurate information here...

Rob

Just picked up an S last week - One of 20 Australian delivered 

Does anyone know who refurbishes the Forged wheels

FullSizeRender.jpg

FAP that looks like a nice car congrats on the purchase, Brian is talking about the turbo s mate not the 944 s, your car looks very tidy where did you come across it?

What do you think you will do with the container? Do you think you can buy one overseas and bring it into the country? 

Simon

if you imported a single car from the Uk, coming to oz, the shipping agent could arrange for more than one vehicle in a container as there is enough traffic. You could only put personal effects in the car.

if you imported from a country or port that did not have much australian bound traffic you pay for the whole container yourself or buy more than one car to spread your cost. If you organize your own container you can buy what ever addition bits to fit in your container; rolling shell, spare motor or use your imagination.

I am looking at p cars manufactured before 1 January 1988 thus avoiding compliance & import costs. Also countries that have a favoratable exchange rate to the aussie dollar.

Due to the lack of 944 on the market at present, anyone interested in sharing a container? Maybe I should start a new thread.

Brian

Brian

Sorry, I misunderstood you. I thought you were trying to buy an S overseas and bring it in. Just to be clear. You cannot bring in any Porsche built after 1st January 1989 (I presume 1988 in your post was a typo) unless you have owned and driven it in another country for a year. If the car is less than 30 years old (1986), you pay 10% duty and 10% GST. If it is older than 30 years, there is no duty.but there is still GST. This makes late 3.2 Carreras significantly more money than the early ones, but at least you get the ROW full power engine, if you want the G50 box.

Make sure to do your research and know how to keep the taxable value of the car to the minimum. Good luck with whatever you are importing. 

FAP that looks like a nice car congrats on the purchase, Brian is talking about the turbo s mate not the 944 s, your car looks very tidy where did you come across it?

Sitting on a mates front lawn for the last five years in sunny Oakleigh 

I've always loved the shape of 944' particularly first series 944 Turbos with tele dials 

Thanks 

David ( FAP is Ferdinand Alexander Porsche btw :)

• 4 weeks later...

Sitting on a mates front lawn for the last five years in sunny Oakleigh 

I've always loved the shape of 944' particularly first series 944 Turbos with tele dials 

Thanks 

David ( FAP is Ferdinand Alexander Porsche btw :)

Man I love these cars in white.  FAP you lucky/ wily dog that is a great looking thing........

Archived