Which 993's were available with a Tiptronic transmission?

AGC8

The Carrera / Carrera S / Cabriolet and Targa models (rear wheel drive) were available with a "Tiptronic" 4-speed automatic transmission, first introduced in the 964. Beginning with model year 1995, Porsche offered the Tiptronic S with additional steering wheel mounted controls and refined software for smoother, quicker shifts. Since the 993's introduction, the Tiptronic is capable of recognizing climbs and descents. The Tiptronic cars suffer compared with the six speed in both acceleration and also top speed, but the differences are slight.[12] Tiptronic cars also suffered a 55-pound weight penalty.[13]

Only the rear wheel drive, naturally aspirated versions.

Reliable but suggest it's worth flushing the fluid and replacing the old Dex III with a modern low shear equivalent such as Castrol Transmax to sharpen up the shifts.

Worst thing with them is that they are not intuitive to use and you must take the time to read up about their programming and learn how to use them.  If you don't they will feel like a dog. ie To downshift you don't go WOT, you flutter the throttle pedal quickly. They normally start in 2nd to reduce creep etc.

Easy to run manually too and because they lock the torque converter in all gears above 1st, they feel like a manual car in their throttle response. ie If you are not smooth with the throttle they will jerk/hunt like a manual and unlike normal slush box cars.

Also be aware that only having 4 ratios to cover a speed range of 0 to 265kph means the ratios are widely spaced and sometimes that makes you have to work a little harder keeping it in the 4000 to 6500 rpm "a hoot to drive" zone.

Thanks for the quick replies/info guys! :) I recall the Tiptronics weren't the best dual-clutch transmissions when they were introduced. Nothing like the PDK's in the 991's. Nice to know they're reliable though. On the 993's. Should I buy one with a Tiptronic. 

Also be aware that only having 4 ratios to cover a speed range of 0 to 265kph means the ratios are widely spaced and sometimes that makes you have to work a little harder keeping it in the 4000 to 6500 rpm "a hoot to drive" zone.

Pfft! You only need 3 speeds! Plus a whole lot more torque :P sorry return to topic now :D

My tipper is for sale. Fully rebuilt engine by the best. I'd call it almost perfect. I just cant keep all I have (either one goes, or Mrs goes).

Tiptronic also came as Tiptronic S, which had the buttons on the wheel. Mine is an S.

Help me out here.

It also wears the tip discount.

@symsy knows it and @Steiny have followed it through the Byron Hills. For daily country driving, . 5 second difference for 0-100 is really not an issue. I'd actually bet my tipper is faster than some non-rebuilt manuals. My engine is a hoot. 

Buy it before I keep it and sell the 72

I recall the Tiptronics weren't the best dual-clutch transmissions when they were introduced. Nothing like the PDK's in the 991's. 

Agy,

For sake of accuracy, Tips are conventional torque converter automatic that just happen to have clever electronic control.  So of the era, front runners of two pedal cars tranmissions.  Dual clutch transmission didn't become commonly available for over a decade later with Porsche introducing PDK in 2008.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived