WOOHOO 718 CAYMAN IS FINALLY HERE..

Niko

Have either of you tried the 718 Boxster(S)? What are you thoughts?

I had a bit of a play with a Base model 718, ergonomics are amazing, shifter, pedal positions, seat.
But the motor left a lot to be desired. I think its the only car Ive ever been in, where the chassis is ages ahead of the motor (and I daily a VW Up...)
I think its a serious car, but Im not sure if thats what I would personally want from a Cayman/Boxster? Having not driven any of the rest, I wonder if they are also "too serious" or something you can have a laugh with.
Mind you, my test drive was on the street, maybe when you get to higher limits it becomes playful?

And... I didnt mind the noise the motor made, idle had a good rumble with about 5% WRX motor sounds, while at the top end, you could tell it was a Porsche developed motor, very refined, very linear. Also makes cute crackles on overrun. 

Have either of you tried the 718 Boxster(S)? What are you thoughts?

I had a bit of a play with a Base model 718, ergonomics are amazing, shifter, pedal positions, seat.
But the motor left a lot to be desired. I think its the only car Ive ever been in, where the chassis is ages ahead of the motor (and I daily a VW Up...)
I think its a serious car, but Im not sure if thats what I would personally want from a Cayman/Boxster? Having not driven any of the rest, I wonder if they are also "too serious" or something you can have a laugh with.
Mind you, my test drive was on the street, maybe when you get to higher limits it becomes playful?

And... I didnt mind the noise the motor made, idle had a good rumble with about 5% WRX motor sounds, while at the top end, you could tell it was a Porsche developed motor, very refined, very linear. Also makes cute crackles on overrun. 

You've had more experience than me. I sat in a 718 S and started it up, but didn't drive it. Despite all the ribbing, I didn't mind the sound but the biggest issue for me was driving there in my 987 and having the flat six as a reference. If you were coming from another marque, I don't think it would be a big deal. You'd just appreciate the car for the fine piece of engineering it is.

Interesting point you make about the chassis. I've made my car "move" a bit (on very quiet roads!) but it takes a lot of effort to do that on the road, and is best saved for track or very early on Sunday mornings!.I think most high performance cars are similar to your 718 description. Way more capable than our lousy speed limits will allow. 

Ironically, that's where I come back to the sound "issue". I can toodle along in 2nd and third gear at very legal speeds and just enjoy the windows-down orchestra. Not sure I'd want to in the 718. 

Back to the chassis though....the 718 is a turbo. A single turb, but a turbo nonetheless. That means when Cobb or others release a tune for it, the power gains could be substantial, if tuning is your bag. Having an over-engineered chassis will then not be so much of a hindrance.. 

Bottom line it is not a 6.  I was going to buy a 718 S but then did not want a 4 cyl turbo, or the sound.  Yes it's quicker etc but been there, done that in the past.  The 6 cyl sound is what I wanted so went with the 981 S with sports exhaust and chrono and I love it.  The hard bit was finding the right one with low klms etc.  The depreciation gains by buying a 1 year old car was also an easier sell on the better half as well.  To each his own though.

You've had more experience than me. I sat in a 718 S and started it up, but didn't drive it. Despite all the ribbing, I didn't mind the sound but the biggest issue for me was driving there in my 987 and having the flat six as a reference. If you were coming from another marque, I don't think it would be a big deal. You'd just appreciate the car for the fine piece of engineering it is.

Interesting point you make about the chassis. I've made my car "move" a bit (on very quiet roads!) but it takes a lot of effort to do that on the road, and is best saved for track or very early on Sunday mornings!.I think most high performance cars are similar to your 718 description. Way more capable than our lousy speed limits will allow. 

Ironically, that's where I come back to the sound "issue". I can toodle along in 2nd and third gear at very legal speeds and just enjoy the windows-down orchestra. Not sure I'd want to in the 718. 

Back to the chassis though....the 718 is a turbo. A single turb, but a turbo nonetheless. That means when Cobb or others release a tune for it, the power gains could be substantial, if tuning is your bag. Having an over-engineered chassis will then not be so much of a hindrance.. 

That is a very valid point you bring up regarding aftermarket support and will probably add that little bit more peak power that will make the car "interesting"?

Youre probably right, chassis and suspension development has taken a huge leap in the past years, and me comparing it to my '74 911 isnt really fair... Only modern performance cars Ive driven is the ND MX-5, which I actually had a bigger smile in that the 718 (slow car fast?) and the BMW M2, which felt very well matched, power and suspension. I know you cant really compare the MX-5 to the 718... they are in a different league if not the similar sort of car, but I agree with what you say... in the 987, the noise adds a huge variable into the mix when having a convertible, being exposed to it more. 718 is almost too refined for that sense of occasion. 

That is a very valid point you bring up regarding aftermarket support and will probably add that little bit more peak power that will make the car "interesting"?
Youre probably right, chassis and suspension development has taken a huge leap in the past years, and me comparing it to my '74 911 isnt really fair... Only modern performance cars Ive driven is the ND MX-5, which I actually had a bigger smile in that the 718 (slow car fast?) and the BMW M2, which felt very well matched, power and suspension. I know you cant really compare the MX-5 to the 718... they are in a different league if not the similar sort of car, but I agree with what you say... in the 987, the noise adds a huge variable into the mix when having a convertible, being exposed to it more. 718 is almost too refined for that sense of occasion. 

Ruining Niko's original thread here (sorry Niko!), but you've just mentioned s car that has caught my eye recently..the M2. Would love to know your thoughts on how that car felt. It is thoroughly modern, but in these days of downsizing and bolting on turbos, it's refreshing to see that BMW have kept the in-line six. It's a good sounding unit to. The turbo lets you tune it up, so you have the best of both worlds. 

Reviews I've seen praise the chassis for it's fun factor (even at legal speeds). I know the concepts are totally different (mid eng' vs front) but for a drivers car, it would be an interesting choice between throwing down $100k on a manual M2 vs $115k on a base 718 Cayman.

ill be putting my 987.2 black edition boxster s up for sale soon and seriously consider this caymen S as its replacement.

4 cyl turbo doesnt bother me at all

Great stuff John. It will be nice to get an opinion on the car from a PFA'er. Keep us updated. 

So Porsche Brighton sent an email during the week saying they had an open day for the 718 Cayman today.

Went down after Dak Dak and took one for a spin.

I should have had faith in the marque. It definitely surpassed my expectations. Steering is better than my GT4, power was up there and the sound was way better than I expected. Pops and farts like the GT4 does on over-runs too.

I now almost hope if they do make a 718 GT4 it uses the 4T - I think one could be a serious weapon done up in GT spec.

Off to Porsche brisvagas for a perv now. Am sort of tempted but had my 2.7 up above 6000rpm just to refresh my aural memory and it is such a special noise. 

M2, having driven it twice, is a mighty machine too and would be hard to go by. I must admit to being a bit peeved at Porsche for not doing a merc bettering 4cyl poweplant. Put 300kw in a Cayman and no one will care how many cylinders are there. Can't go having more power than the precious 911 though I suppose can we. 

Archived