Early 944 rear wheel bearings

944 Geek

G'day 944 guys, has anyone done the rear wheel bearings in their early 944? It seems like a straightforward job with the exception of the 350ft lb stub axle nut. Any tricks to this?

Also apparently the stub axles get damaged by the inner race. I can get the from 944 online but just wondering if anyone else has found this? Just trying to clue myself up before doing the job.

Any help will be appreciated.

David!  

Hi, I recently did this task on an 82 944. While driving over bumps the left rear bearing was occasionally clunking. I found this was because the outer bearing had dented and ovalised the bearing mount in the steel trailing arm, but the shaft was perfect. Actually they both were, including the races.

I had to buy a 1-38 socket, and as RodC said a length of pipe. I found pressing bearings in -  in situ a challenge.

I was able to buy high end bearings and all the seals at the local bearing supply.

Best luck

I attached a 4ft length of pipe over the end of a spanner as leverage if that helps on my 924

Thanks that's kinda what I thought. How were the stub axles? Any wear?

Hi, I recently did this task on an 82 944. While driving over bumps the left rear bearing was occasionally clunking. I found this was because the outer bearing had dented and ovalised the bearing mount in the steel trailing arm, but the shaft was perfect. Actually they both were, including the races.

I had to buy a 1-38 socket, and as RodC said a length of pipe. I found pressing bearings in -  in situ a challenge.

I was able to buy high end bearings and all the seals at the local bearing supply.

Best luck

Ok cool. Mine just have a little bit of movement when I use a wheel spanner for leverage but they are making a low frequency humming noise which sounds like bearing wear.I got a bearing kit from Allied bearings in Cairns and I am just preparing mentally to do the job.

I attached a 4ft length of pipe over the end of a spanner as leverage if that helps on my 924

What did you use to torque the stub axle bolt back up? My torque wrench only goes to 200nm and 350ftlb is 474nm

On the topic of wheel bearings...have you guys noticed any pad knock back with worn rear wheel bearings?

I'm getting a low brake pedal after hard cornering. My front bearings are fresh and tight, so I'm wondering if my rear wheels bearings are getting a bit loose. When I jack the rear up and try to wiggle the wheels, they don't have any play though I'm obviously not strong enough to replicate the forces of hard cornering.

Thanks that's kinda what I thought. How were the stub axles? Any wear?

Ok cool. Mine just have a little bit of movement when I use a wheel spanner for leverage but they are making a low frequency humming noise which sounds like bearing wear.I got a bearing kit from Allied bearings in Cairns and I am just preparing mentally to do the job.

What did you use to torque the stub axle bolt back up? My torque wrench only goes to 200nm and 350ftlb is 474nm

No wear on Stubbs and I haven't tensioned up the nuts yet but I'll be using the wrench and pipe method again.

If you have a (for example) a 4 ft bar and you weigh 90lbs, that would give you 360 lb-ft if you stood on the very end of the bar (using a breaker bar or similar, not your torque wrench).  If you stood on the 3ft mark, that would give you 270 lb-ft.  Just substitute your weight to get the position on the bar to apply it...

No - the stub axle nut.  The chap who bought my 968 mentioned a sudden increase on wheel bearing noise and he found the stub nut had loosened off.  Not my work, but done by a reputable repairer...

No - the stub axle nut.  The chap who bought my 968 mentioned a sudden increase on wheel bearing noise and he found the stub nut had loosened off.  Not my work, but done by a reputable repairer...

That it interesting I am going to check mine before I replace the bearings.

If you have a (for example) a 4 ft bar and you weigh 90lbs, that would give you 360 lb-ft if you stood on the very end of the bar (using a breaker bar or similar, not your torque wrench).  If you stood on the 3ft mark, that would give you 270 lb-ft.  Just substitute your weight to get the position on the bar to apply it...

Thanks Archimedes! I grew up fixing aircraft so I am a bit of a stickler for precision but your method will work nicely until I get access to a torque wrench big enough.

• 1 month later...

Best luck

Hey did you say a 38MM socket? The book says 36 and I have just bought one. Does anyone know for sure?

Hi, I brought a 1-38 imperial socket as it was the best fit......I brought from an engineering company not Bunnings. It works brilliantly which is good when  ones whole body weight is standing off it torqueing the nut down.

i would be really happy to post it if anyone wants to borrow it. It doesn't fit too much. 

• 2 weeks later...

Wheel bearing WTF?

Having replaced my rear wheel bearings,(not  difficult-just had to buy a big breaker bar and 36mm impact socket) and taking my lovely car on a road trip Brisbane-Sydney-Melbourne, Adelaide, my new rear wheel bearings are singing to me louder than the ones I replaced...

New bearings from Allied, packed with the correct grease, properly torqued thanks to a truck tyre place.

I spent my younger years an an aircraft maintenance engineer, so I am not unfamiliar with this kind of work but this one is weird.

WTF? Anyone got any clues? 

• 1 month later...

Archived