Adelaide hills

LeeM

After I found this road whilst heading to a gig with a loaded up van in the hills a few months ago, I finally got to drive Montacute road in the 911 yesterday

Mainly 2nd and 3rd gear stuff at a fair speed, but the tarmac for the first couple of km's is billiard table smooth. I don't know the road at all, yet I left a couple of sportbikes for dead. Man that was fun!

I'd planned the whole day of just driving as many roads in the hills as I could all day (Montacute, Chain of Ponds etc etc) before I go back to work on Monday, yet ofcourse at the top of the Montacute hill, I heard a rumbling sound from the right rear as I went through left corners that got louder the harder I pushed. Well there goes that great day then. Ugh!! Dare say it's a wheel bearing or driveshaft, so I crawled back down Norton Summit road, and dropped into see Craig at Buik Motorworks for him to have a listen. I couldn't hear it whilst just driving, yet it was still there, albeit much quieter, when turning left

Other than that, it was an awesome run up Montacute road. I was getting cocky and thought I was Jacky Iycx for a minute, then had an 'Ah fruit' moment heading into a 25kph turn at a decent clip (my missus laughed when she heard my 'moment' commentary on the dash cam at home), but the car was just glued to the road. Awesome stuff!  The road is not that long, but if you were to head up there, then across the top towards Norton Summit road, you'd have some fun for sure. Plenty of pushbike riders up that way, though we do have the Tour Down Under here next week. I even got a very enthusiastic thumbs up from one bloke. Must have been a Porsche fan ;)

Next road I MUST do is Chain of Ponds from Houghton, then up to Paracombe. That will be fun

Part of montacute road got washed away in that big storm when we had the state wide blackout.  I think it only got repaired just before Christmas. There's another good drive out through the back of birdwood to Williamstown and Cromer to springton, then back through mt pleasant and into mt torrens. 

• 2 months later...

Stu, You're at ground zero for the state's best roads....

you.re right there.  A quick trip to the coffee shops in Hahndorf (<10 minutes away) can turn into an hour of great driving each way.

There a great roads all through there. From Paracombe right down to Cherry Gardens it's hard to go wrong... You guys are lucky buggers with those roads.

Hoping to do the reverse, Cherry Gardens to Paracombe soon. Am told Cherry Gardens seems to be a cop magnet lately though

Archived