What clutch and flywheel for a 250hp AC 911

MFX

Hey guys,

I am at the pointy end (finally) of sorting out my engine, and I am guessing I will be looking somewhere in the realm of 250hp. The engine at this stage will still be using the 2.7 case but with a bunch of shiny bits to increase the smiles. I have not even really thought about clutch and flywheel up to now so I was wondering if anyone has some suggestions?

Lots of options.  Don't go too light.  Check out Patrick Motorsport's offerings for CenterForce clutch plate and associated disk.  Fidanza alloy flywheel with replaceable friction surface good combo.  Wevo's StreetLite kit looks good too.  I recall James Devine telling me he maintains a car for a well known peddler who has a habit of destroying clutches and this lasted longest.  Not cheap but...

Also consider gearbox (only what I have read). Wevo do a "Plate" to strengthen a 915 box to handle more HP &torque. This was mentioned to me when looking at a early car with a 964 engine. Sorry no more info than that.

I am considering keeping my flywheel as long as it still has enough meat on it. Is that an issue?

I used a standard clutch and pressure plate and balanced flywheel in my Group S race car that was far better than some of the "exotic" stuff that is on the market. Never let go on savage starts in races. 

The clutch is still in it and it still puts out around 310 hp. 

Armages point about strengthening plates is a good one but again I have only ever done this on cars that will carry fairly heavy shock loads in competition applications. 

Id suggest you stick with stock and see how you go.  250 is well within what a stock 915 can cope with unless you're an axe wielding hack. 

Well to be honest, the clutch I pulled out looks new. From the engine teardown, it looks like it had a dodgy top end rebuild with crappy time certs and it pulled head studs straight away. I think they may have actually put a new clutch into it during the rebuild. I will post up some pics tomorrow.

If I don't have to spend money, I won't. Simple as that. I am also not looking to have a track pig, I want a comfortable car to drive on the road. One of the best explanations of a clutch I have heard, is that it is like an electrical fuse for the driveline.

Archived