Hauling with the Macan Turbo

edgy

You've probably never wondered what the Macan's towing capabilities are, or maybe like me you have? 

I got the OE tow pack installed from new and got around to using it last week. 

I've gotta say the OEM tow pack is nicely finished. 

IMG_4415_zpsxeeh8yak.jpg

So there it is, one red neck looking rental trailer loaded with all my red neck cooking artillery... I'd say it was about 1.8 Tonnes behind the car. 

IMG_4429_zps6odnemuo.jpg

Ok lets talk about range anxiety for a minute.. I read about this so called condition with full EV owners, I kinda get that now when its not a question of running costs or MPG, but a question of will I make to to the next petrol station, we rolled into Holbrook on fumes. 

DTE --- with 25kms to go did not exactly inspire confidence. 

IMG_4430_zps2jq5irap.jpg

All aussie Macans are said to have 75L tanks, yet me and friends that have them have not been bale to get more than 65L in there... turns out we were not trying hard enough, merely a litre away from disaster. 

IMG_4424_zpsunspzes4.jpg

And you just know I had to show my british guest a good aussie meat pie on the trip down to Melbourne, they loved it fyi. :) 

IMG_4427_zpsnmgh4jri.jpg

Summary: It's a great tow rig, especially with the air-suspension... might be prudent to bring a jerry can with some extra juice for your long hauls though!! 

Whats going on here K? 19.2L/100km, avg speed 84kmh & you're doing 106kmh. You must have your left foot resting on the brake pedal. You drive much faster than that from what I've seen. WTF is in the trailer???? Never seen a 1.8t bbq, bring it to Berry, I need to see it work close up, I'll provide the ingredients & beers.  

PS, great looking Macan.

Whats going on here K? 19.2L/100km, avg speed 84kmh & you're doing 106kmh. You must have your left foot resting on the brake pedal. You drive much faster than that from what I've seen. WTF is in the trailer???? Never seen a 1.8t bbq, bring it to Berry, I need to see it work close up, I'll provide the ingredients & beers.  

PS, great looking Macan.

At that point we slowed up a bit but you can say we abided by the posted 110km +/- 5 ;) 

Two BBQ smoker pits in there, all made from 10 gauge steel. 

Hey I tell you what, there's a plan matey... let's shit can the track day and have a BBQ throw down at your joint! ? I'll gladly do the cooking. 

You should be careful with the beer tab, don't write cheques ya can't cash! ?

Edgy you're such a glamper!

Now go do the Canning Stock Route like a real man. They tell me even a Toyota can do that ;<)

glamper? Not even!!  We grabbed a hotel room. 

I am pretty sure I was watching a video of the Current G doing the canning stock route and the shocks just quit half way, they had to get replacements sent out 

Edgy are you kidding , seriously ,not that your doing all teh time , but must need a wind cone on the trailer ..

My Disco oil burner with 1970 kg twin axle car trailer/esky on board ..from Byron To Wakefield 14l/100 .. 15.5  when booting it up to 130kmh..

My Disco oil burner with 1970 kg twin axle car trailer/esky on board ..from Byron To Wakefield 14l/100 .. 15.5  when booting it up to 130kmh..

lol at the boys worrying about fuel economy!

I propose a competition , tandem traliers,  fat SUVs and a track . Time attack. Competition improves the breed , and sorts men from goats ;<(

Film it for DIY Top Gear - or another episode of the controversial World Famous For Dicking Around.

Afterwards you can roast said goats and scoff contents of said esky. What's not to like?

• 2 weeks later...

lol at the boys worrying about fuel economy!

Well, if it means getting stranded because you don't make it to the next petrol station, then yeah, I'd worry.

Maybe you can get one those jettisonable fuel tank used on the space shuttles, ex-NASA. SInce they've retired the space shuttle, they may be going cheap (shipping costs may be a killer, though).

Well, if it means getting stranded because you don't make it to the next petrol station, then yeah, I'd worry.

Maybe you can get one those jettisonable fuel tank used on the space shuttles, ex-NASA. SInce they've retired the space shuttle, they may be going cheap (shipping costs may be a killer, though).

Why reinvent the wheel? Many things worked perfectly well on the old cars ; jerry cans , hubcaps (that prevent corrosion , theft , lost wheel nut , tampering) heaven forbid - spare wheels - etc . Now it's all "safety and economy for families" who like to venture into the outback in luxury,  far from petrol stations. Deffo a 1st world worry!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371783124426

My Mac Turbo does around 18L/100km towing up and down the Hume with the croc on the back.

It actually sits around 16L/100km around town - but as soon as we hit 110km/hr it drinks a little more. Which is obviously the reverse to what it does without the trailer on the back.

But yeah - I do a full tank at departure with planned stops at Wangartta and Gundagai for top ups, as I too had the panic fill at Holbrook the 1st time around! lol

13061992_10154809659772564_6001912786269

Archived