WTB- 944 Torque Tube for 85.5 onwards.

Jason E

Hello,

I am chasing a Torque Tube to be rebuilt to replace the split shaft in my '90 944S2.  Must be of the variety with the 4 capture hooks welded to the shaft.  I am located in Brisbane but willing to talk to anyone with the goods.  Please send me a message or call on 0410 439 764.

cheers,

Jason

Hello,

I am chasing a Torque Tube to be rebuilt to replace the split shaft in my '90 944S2.  Must be of the variety with the 4 capture hooks welded to the shaft.  I am located in Brisbane but willing to talk to anyone with the goods.  Please send me a message or call on 0410 439 764.

cheers,

Jason

Worn bearing? I know a guy that replaced one himself by a fairly ingenious method he devised...

By "capture hooks", do you mean the crash safety appendages designed to stop the tube moving forward in a crash? They are only on US cars AFAIK. Certainly, the TT on my S2 doesn't have them.

Cheers, will do.

Definitely ring Bruce Jason. You he is a wealth of information and would be happy to discuss it with you;)

Worn bearing? I know a guy that replaced one himself by a fairly ingenious method he devised...

By "capture hooks", do you mean the crash safety appendages designed to stop the tube moving forward in a crash? They are only on US cars AFAIK. Certainly, the TT on my S2 doesn't have them.

My 86 n/a had them, it was Aus del.

Hi Mark,

Yes the bearing is worn & is getting increasingly louder & as I need to replace the clutch I want to do the lot while it is out.  I did speak to an American outfit this morning (Black Sea Research & Development- Super Bearings) & maybe that is where the capture hooks (crash safety appendages) came in to the mix. 

The split seam on the TT seems to cause a host of issues - thus replacing with a standard TT seems to be the best option.  I wonder if your mate that replaced/ refreshed his TT would be prepared to have a chat with me?

My 86 n/a had them, it was Aus del.

Odd. The "capture hooks" were a US safety design rule that didn't apply in other markets. Makes the TT extra annoying to remove when doing a clutch job compared to when they're not there -- you have to rotate them just so to get them clear. Don't know why any Aus delivered cars would have them. Maybe just what they had in stock at the factory at the time?

In any case, the hooks aren't necessary for any other reason, and AFAIK the two TT designs are completely interchangeable.

Is the "hook" requirement what Black Sea are specifying for a core exchange for a rebuilt unit?

The split seam on the TT seems to cause a host of issues - thus replacing with a standard TT seems to be the best option.  I wonder if your mate that replaced/ refreshed his TT would be prepared to have a chat with me?

I don't think there is any particular problem with the split seam per se -- I've seen some people claim it allows in water that adversely affects the life of the bearings, but I've never seen any real convincing evidence of the claim, just speculation. I put a piece of HVAC aluminium tape over mine way back in the day just in case, but I doubt it needed it -- any water splashing in there would very quickly drain and be cleared.

I'll ask, and I suspect he'll be happy to, but even better, I seem to remember he did a write-up of his procedure on Rennlist. I'll see if I can find a link.

Edit: Can't find the link. (Can't find any of his posts on Rennlist, actually, which is a bit weird.) I'll ask next time I see him.

So it would seem that the info I received from the Yanks might have been a bit over the top according to Buchanan's.  Sean stated that the S2 split seam is repairable (though it would seem that it is a pretty complicated & delicate process according to Bruce).  Rob I will have to discuss this with you in the next few days.

On a side note I just ordered a set of Koni yellow front/ backs from a UK outfit that was $500 bucks cheaper (delivered) than the nearest Aus quote.  Good on you globalization :D/ sorry Aussie businesses that I ditched you :(.   I'll need every cent of the savings to pour into this rolling fiscal black hole!!

Plugger, would that be OzEric?

Never heard of OzEric. The guy I'm thinking of does go by the name EricOzS2 though... ;)

Sean stated that the S2 split seam is repairable (though it would seem that it is a pretty complicated & delicate process according to Bruce). 

Just so you know Jason, the "split" is a design feature (that Porsche actually patented) to reduce driveline harmonics. It doesn't need "repairing".

Never heard of OzEric. The guy I'm thinking of does go by the name EricOzS2 though... ;)

Just so you know Jason, the "split" is a design feature (that Porsche actually patented) to reduce driveline harmonics. It doesn't need "repairing".

Your right Plugger it was a design of Porsche to put that split there, but i can undeniably tell you that your wrong if they dont need "repairing". I would guess at least 60-70% of the split torque tubes we have refurbished needed them to be aligned back so that the bearing donut can hold onto the TT outer case. Unless of course you just want the bearing floating on the shaft and not supporting it. My guess is that from years of stress the the split opens up, we have seen them open up to more then 6mm, and considering they came with a 3mm split i think thats excessive.

Regards

Sean

Your right Plugger it was a design of Porsche to put that split there, but i can undeniably tell you that your wrong if they dont need "repairing". I would guess at least 60-70% of the split torque tubes we have refurbished needed them to be aligned back so that the bearing donut can hold onto the TT outer case. Unless of course you just want the bearing floating on the shaft and not supporting it. My guess is that from years of stress the the split opens up, we have seen them open up to more then 6mm, and considering they came with a 3mm split i think thats excessive.

Regards

Sean

If the split is not causing problems (which would be true in the vast majority of TTs that have never needed refurbishing) then clearly they don't need "repairing". If a particular damaged TT with bearing failure needs to brought back to spec while being refurbed, fair enough, but what I am saying is the "split" is not a design problem in itself that needs rectification.

As a data point, the one S2 owner I know who has had to replace a bearing in his S2 TT didn't have any such issue. The new replacement bearing and carrier fitted fine. And that car was (and is) a hard-driven track car. A quick purview of a site like Rennlist will show the TTs on 944s generally are fairly trouble-free for the vast majority of owners, it is a relatively uncommon failure, and the S2 is no exception.

In short, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Ok, so we now determine that the split comes from the factory at 3mm. It was put there for a purpose and we dont mind that. But at what stage does it become a problem. 4mm? 5mm? 6mm? 10mm?. I can tell you that one of the bearings sits with the scope of the split and when new would support the drive shaft. I can also tell you that at 6mm the bearing outer donut just slides up and down in there and provides no support. Do you think Porsche intended it to just float and provide no support or do you think supporting the drive shaft would be a good idea? Im going to go with option B and say support is a good idea. 

As to "is the split a design problem". The answer is actually yes, if the split never opened up and we never have to close it and weld straps then you would be correct. But it does open up and we do close it back up and apply the straps. These straps are only there to hold the split back in ts original location.

All I'm saying is that if this was on my car i would want it working as designed, to support the drive shaft going from the clutch to transmission. 

As a data point i have probably refurbished 50 or 60 TT over the years of working at Buchanan's and out of the 20 or s 944 TT i have probably had to bring back into alignment 8 or 9. Do we fix the ones that have no problem? no as there is nothing to fix.

Regards

Sean 

Archived