OG Simmons rebuild 8x18 & 11x18

930_outlaw

some pics of my wheel rebuild. Started off with a egg in my tyre and some how a new set of rubber has turned into a full wheel rebuild haha. A good friend of mine did most of the leg work with these... i just get to post the pics. I'll call him out soon! 

RiiiiimzRiiiiimz

Riiiiimz

Riiiiimz

Scrubbed 20 years of crap off the inners and sent the dishes off for polishing. 

Eggy

RiiiiimzEggy

Eggy

of course nothing is easy ... had some stretched bolts so I got all new hardware... and of course being the older gen wheel it uses a 10mm and not 8mm. I was hunting for gold but couldn't get any in the old sizing so I made the call to paint them all gold candy over chrome. 

Eggy

coming together ... if only I could run this dish lo!! 

Riiiiimz

So I get these bad boys back tomorrow.... but here is a teaser shot I got from the wheel builders after all torqued back up. 

Riiiiimz

I like gold!! 

Yeah... 18's can be a bit much. I would of preferred 17's but it's what I inherited.... might go a different path once rebuild is done. 

33047668692_9949c28742_b.jpg

Have you considered cambering in the rear a bit more? Looks like a lot of poke haha

And is it just me, but does it seem like the left rear pokes out a lot more than the rear left? I assumed you didnt play with the wheel alignment when putting these wheels back on?

Have you considered cambering in the rear a bit more? Looks like a lot of poke haha
And is it just me, but does it seem like the left rear pokes out a lot more than the rear left? I assumed you didnt play with the wheel alignment when putting these wheels back on?

I was thinking that.  and yes you are correct with the variance. Im not sure if its an adjustment or if my flares were welded on a couple of mm out on one side. 

It looks worse than what it is, its about 5mm. I was going to try and machine down the 930 rear spacer to get them in a bit.... even with 285's on when hard cornering it would rub a little. You think im on the right track?? 

I was thinking that.  and yes you are correct with the variance. Im not sure if its an adjustment or if my flares were welded on a couple of mm out on one side. 

It looks worse than what it is, its about 5mm. I was going to try and machine down the 930 rear spacer to get them in a bit.... even with 285's on when hard cornering it would rub a little. You think im on the right track?? 

Yeah and most of the time you arent comparing either guard side by side, not as noticable. 

Has the right guard had any work done to it? Pulled and rolled? Maybe an option for the left? I dont know if I would machine the spacers, will mean your track is then offset. I would try and confirm where the difference is and then decide from there.

Wheels look good on it by the way, good to see youre using ALL of the width of the rear haha

Yeah and most of the time you arent comparing either guard side by side, not as noticable. 

Has the right guard had any work done to it? Pulled and rolled? Maybe an option for the left? I dont know if I would machine the spacers, will mean your track is then offset. I would try and confirm where the difference is and then decide from there.

Wheels look good on it by the way, good to see youre using ALL of the width of the rear haha

both gaurds dont show any sign of tampering , neither have had the lip rolled. I'm going to have to get the measuring tape out and try and find where the cause is . I think it may just be camber adjustment , left side has obvious positive camber but drivers side looks completely neutral. 

My understanding is that this spacing difference can be quite a common thing.

Also in my search for parts for my 914 I found 911 rear hubs can actually be different so it might be worthwhile doing some measurements with the wheels off. 

Get a decent alignment done it could be your camber is just off. 

P.s it looks great!

so, booked in for camber / toe adjustment and all round wheel alignment. 

While im in my guys have an in house lathe and small mill so they will shave 5mm off each side spacer to bring both sides in a little so under her cornering I dont run or grab with rubber flex and body roll. will be fixed either way ! ill keep you posted 

• 2 weeks later...

why do you have spacers anyway? looks fresh 

They are just the factory spacers... without them my wheel studs are too long! 

Im running an 11inch rim so if I dont have any spacer I start rubbing my oil cooler lines. Ive swapped out the factory 930 spacer for a 18mm spacer which is now sitting perfect inside the guard! 

Archived