1976 911 Tool Kit Correct Tools

76' 911

Hi all,

I have an Australian delivered 76' 2.7L 911 as a daily driver and looking to collect all the correct parts to make it original. I have a tool kit for it, a grey basket weave type, however I'm hoping some of you out there who are accuracy aficionados will be able to tell me what I am missing from the kit and / or what isn't necessary (see photo below). A couple of things I have noticed

• The spanners are the "selected special steel type" however the 17mm is a different type. I have seen this in other photos of some 70's kits on the net. Is this correct?

• I'm assuming the red 10000volt screwdriver is from an earlier kit and I only require the yellow handle with the three shaft options?

• The pliers look the part but aren't branded. Should they be?

• The fan belt is obviously missing

• The spark plug wrench  and allen key is missing. Should this be the solid type or the bendy spring type?

• What else is missing?

Cheers,

Jon

911toolkit.JPG

Hi Jon,

Tool kits and their contents are very complicated/confusing and not clear from Porsche data what is correct or not.

Grey basket weave is correct for 76 and 77, selected special steel and the DIN 17-19 is correct.

Yellow screw driver and 3 blades are correct (there are 3 or 4 different yellow handles, if the red handle has a removable blade I would like to buy it as it is from a later kit).

Pliers are a hard one as they cross over between models.......they look to be genuine but I thought they should say West Germany or Hapewe but not sure.

You have 2 alternator tools....a 22 mm Klein and P208 (I understand the 22mm to be correct and would be interested in the P208)

The spark plug tool should be the straight type but there is also 2 of them.

19mm wheel nut wrench is another hard one that I think crosses models,  James tapered end spanner I think was coming to the end of its run then the straight shank took over.

Plastic fuse packet is correct but again at the end of it's run.

Hope this helps

Greg

P.S. Nice kit :)

All,

thanks for the replies, it is much appreciated as I'm quite new to this. For Greg, I checked the red screwdriver and unfortunately this is a fixed handle type. The P208 tool fits the fan quite well (so I'll hang onto that one). The pliers look the part but definitely don't have a makers mark, only 6" stamped on them. The air pump was also with the car so I am assuming this is also correct fitment?

911 pump.JPG

PET will only tell you what should be in the toolkit it doesn't tell you what style or model is correct for your car I.E. some 19, 22 ad 24 mm spanners are just marked with the size while others have Klien as well, same story with spark plug tools and allen keys, ditto for open end spanners PET doesn't state SSS or drop forged and with drop forged whether large or small font, another is toolbag material, etc etc etc

Jon I have an email somewhere from a penpal in Germany listing the correct year model for compressors but logic would say yours is most likely correct.

Do you frequent C&C

Greg

Peter, in the 7 years since I started studying and buying tools and kits I found speaking to owners of genuine toolkits, studying what was on the market and speaking to other "experts" around the world was a much better resource than the "detailed breakdown of the contents of the toolbag" that you described PET as.

Cheers gents, the PET gives the basic run down which is handy however Greg has suggested there's a lot of tiny differences which is what I'm looking to understand. As the price for everything original 911 continues to climb my aim is to get it as accurate as possible while I can (keen to find a straight spark plug wrench if anyone has one please PM me!). Greg, I travel a lot internationally however I'll have to get to a C&C sometime soon as I live in the city.

Jon I will send you a PM with contacts overseas for the straight spark plug wrench and which allen key should suit it, prices of tools have pulled back recently but you can still expect to pay 100-125 usd for the SPW, if you are lucky it will come with an allen key otherwise that will cost you more .

Archived