Brake Pads

AndrewW

I need to change the front pads In my 2006 Cayman, the ones I have work but have no feel what so ever, very woody. Just keep pressing until the ABS cuts in then you know that there is no need to press any harder, zero feedback. Recommendations needed please for late braking enthusiastic hills driving

If your cars is an S then PMU Club Racer. Not sure if a standard cayman uses the same pads. These are about as close as you will get to a street-able race pad. Has the weights on the pads to help with squeal. So far I have to say they work as I have tried PFC 01 and Pagid RS14 and RS29 without the weights and they all squeal bad. You would probably need to do the rears as well as the friction is way better even cold.  Without the excessive factory anti-squeal especially in the rear the pedal feel is much improve. PMU HC+ are also ok. The only issue is dust but you will be amazed at the braking improvement and increased feel(modulation), bite and release.

The Cayman R comes standard with a sport front pad and it is rubbish. Not very good cold and not up to any real work. The fact it is so bad is the reason I have been trying other pads. All the pads I mentiond above are available for the Cayman S and R

I source the PMU from Nick Cascone at Cascone Autosport.

• 2 weeks later...

When I owned my Cayman S a couple years ago, I put brand new discs and OEM pads (all bought from Pelican)... braking was actually quite good with decent feedback. Is there any chance that your current pads, that are wooden, have glazed? Maybe new pads and a skim of the discs is needed.

As for Project MU, I bought a set for my 964.. the dust is crazy. The bite is superb BUT THE NOISE IS UNBEARABLE. Squealing like an old train with its wheels skidding on a steel track.. just horrible. At every set of lights, people shudder when I pull up. I'm going back to stock pads.

When I owned my Cayman S a couple years ago, I put brand new discs and OEM pads (all bought from Pelican)... braking was actually quite good with decent feedback. Is there any chance that your current pads, that are wooden, have glazed? Maybe new pads and a skim of the discs is needed.

As for Project MU, I bought a set for my 964.. the dust is crazy. The bite is superb BUT THE NOISE IS UNBEARABLE. Squealing like an old train with its wheels skidding on a steel track.. just horrible. At every set of lights, people shudder when I pull up. I'm going back to stock pads.

Which Pmu's do you have Mike? I'm running HC800's and I love their performance. Haven't had any problems with squeal. Perhaps you need to try rebedding them? Though after lakeside they should be bedded nicely...

You're right about the dust though.

If you're going back to stock pads, I'm happy to take your pmu's :D  ...I think we have the same brake pad size.

I have the Club Racers all round, wanted the HC800's but the dude in QLD didn't have them for the rears and I didn't want to mix. They performed very well in Tassie, instant bite all the time and only a bit of squealing (which was my concern really, I've had too many different pad compounds that squeal like a pig). Dust was as they advised me, pretty bad, but then I can swing a sponge so I'll live with it for now.

My instinct was Pagids, they're also a lot cheaper than the PMU's via Design 911 so once they're stuffed I'll try the Pagid orange or greys.

yep, HC800...

THEY SQUEAL LIKE A PIG!!

Have you tried taking them out and filing the leading and trailing edges a little? I normally do that whenever I put in new pads...seems to prevent the squealing a bit.

I found the most important thing to have on the Cayman fronts is the 2 damping weights attached to each pad as they alone make the biggest contribution to reducing brake squeal. 

My PMU  HC+ and the latest club racers have these and almost no squeal from either. Pagid on the other hand that do not have the damping weights squeal like pigs in the slaughter yard. 

Dust! Best to just live with it as the performance more than compensates. 

When I got the HC800, i ordered front and rear. My 964 is the older one which means it has different pads front and rear. (Newer 964 have same pads front and rear).

The REAR pads cost around $400 from memory and the fronts were nearly half the price.

The rear pads came with the chamfer on the leading edge. However the front pads did not... I ended up putting a chamfer on them.

The squealing was coming from the rear pads though. 

I have the factory anti-rattle shims installed AND I have brake antisqueal paste applied.

But my rear pads kept squealing, but only at low, parking speeds.. perfect for coming home late at night...

Well, tonight I swapped my rear PMU HC800 out for the stock oem pads that were in there before... and no more squeal... 

Archived