Rear 930 Wheel Offsets

Pork Chops

Yeah yeah another wheel offset thread.  JESUS!  This is for my hotrod which has early 930 rear guards on a narrow body car.

This relates to fitment of 15" wheels.  Data points are 28mm rear spacers which I believe are common to all 930s.  Yes the 21mm fronts disappeared at some stage in their evolution.  Standard sizes were 15 x 7 ET + 23.3 and 15 x 8 ET +10.6 used in conjunction with the spacers.  There was a rare 15 x 9 ET + 3 option.  Note there was a not as rare 16 x 9 option but the offset was ET +15.  I have other data points but I'd rather stick to what are well known facts.

The ultimate problem I'm trying to solve is will 15 x 10 ET -12 fit my early 930 guards with no spacers.

What I'd like to hear from people is on your 930 / M491 / narrow body car with 930 guards welded on, what REAR wheels and spacers combos are you running that work.  Looking for pretty flush, my guards will be rolled and everything done in the metal prep to give the wheel max clearance.

I don't mind too much using spacers if I have to but clearly if they're too wide for the guards that can't be fixed easily.

Please be specific.  Wheel diameter, width, exact offset, and spacer dimensions of any.  If you're not running a spacer please say so.  Ideally let me know what tyre size you're running too

Cheers.

Yeah yeah another wheel offset thread.  JESUS!  This is for my hotrod which has early 930 rear guards on a narrow body car.

This relates to fitment of 15" wheels.  Data points are 28mm rear spacers which I believe are common to all 930s.  Yes the 21mm fronts disappeared at some stage in their evolution.  Standard sizes were 15 x 7 ET + 23.3 and 15 x 8 ET +10.6 used in conjunction with the spacers.  There was a rare 15 x 9 ET + 3 option.  Note there was a not as rare 16 x 9 option but the offset was ET +15.  I have other data points but I'd rather stick to what are well known facts.

The ultimate problem I'm trying to solve is will 15 x 10 ET -12 fit my early 930 guards with no spacers.

What I'd like to hear from people is on your 930 / M491 / narrow body car with 930 guards welded on, what REAR wheels and spacers combos are you running that work.  Looking for pretty flush, my guards will be rolled and everything done in the metal prep to give the wheel max clearance.

I don't mind too much using spacers if I have to but clearly if they're too wide for the guards that can't be fixed easily.

Please be specific.  Wheel diameter, width, exact offset, and spacer dimensions of any.  If you're not running a spacer please say so.  Ideally let me know what tyre size you're running too

Cheers.

cant remember the offsets mate (someone on here did find out for me, but because of band width on this forum the message is long gone). If you definitely have early 930 Guards they are the same as mine. As you know I have 15x10's on the rear (yes there were stock 16x9's, but only on later cars - 85 onwards I think - so the guards will be different anyway). All I do know is that we removed the spacers to fit the wheels so currently running no spacers as they are sitting in my garage somewhere.

If it helps I have just emailed you the invoice from Fifteen52 for the Outlaw wheels. It might have the info you need or you could contact them directly to find out the offset. I literally contacted them and said 'gimmi what Magnus has' ;) 

I run 17x9 et +30 front and 17x11 et 0 rear, no spacers......if that helps

Remember early 930's had spacers on the front (early narrow hub) so et on the front will be different.

cant remember the offsets mate (someone on here did find out for me, but because of band width on this forum the message is long gone).

It was me that found out and told you! Daft bugger :).

Offsets on yours (Tom) are -5 on the rear and +10.6 front.

I run 17x9 et +30 front and 17x11 et 0 rear, no spacers......if that helps

Remember early 930's had spacers on the front (early narrow hub) so et on the front will be different.

Makes sense.  Not bothered about the fronts but yes I'm aware of the change in front spacer.

Im running 18 x 10 neg 5 with 295s and i still need a 4" spacer. I would like to get new outer barrels for 8" dish and to run no spacer

Doesn't make sense.  See offset table below I've created.  If you could use a 4" spacer with the width and offsets you've nominated you're 95mm further out (poke) than the 15 x 9 ET +3 with a 28mm spacer.  You can see most of the other data points I've got are within -8mm to +6mm on the control wheel (15 x 9 ET +3 with 28mm spacer).  Maybe running RSR flares?  Anyhow thanks for the reply.

Offsets_zpsp7uhef48.jpg

you're gonna need some dish! haha
paging uncle, i think his old 930 engined car had NB trailing arms in a widebody and some pretty serious custom simmons to suit

Dish?  Yes!

@Pork Chops I've gone through this same process mate.

In the end I went with Campags 15x10 on the rear of my 79SC with welded turbo flares.  Offset is -12 and i have measured that i'll need 25mm spacers to make it fit sitting nice and flush. I have all standard SC running gear underneath.  Nick Cascone has the car at the moment and will be working out the exact spacers needed to put the wheels on - so I'll get back to you.

I measured for my car the exact offsets I'd for my rear to be flush were -37 in a 10" and -25 in a 9".  Obviously if you have 930 arms this will be less.  Front were -16 for an 8" wheel and -4 for a 9".

@Pork Chops I've gone through this same process mate.

In the end I went with Campags 15x10 on the rear of my 79SC with welded turbo flares.  Offset is -12 and i have measured that i'll need 25mm spacers to make it fit sitting nice and flush. I have all standard SC running gear underneath.  Nick Cascone has the car at the moment and will be working out the exact spacers needed to put the wheels on - so I'll get back to you.

I measured for my car the exact offsets I'd for my rear to be flush were -37 in a 10" and -25 in a 9".  Obviously if you have 930 arms this will be less.  Front were -16 for an 8" wheel and -4 for a 9".

FANTASTIC.  Thanks very much and that info checks out.  The thing I'd not accounted for (but found out this morning) is that in addition to the 930 running a 28mm spacer in the rear, the hub spacing is also 21mm (circa) wider per side compared to an SC or equivanlent.  This gives an overall ~50mm of extra poke to the wheels which is roughly equivalent to the extra 2" the 930 guards flare over the SC.  So as you rightly point out a narrow bodied car with weld on wide guards would need roughly a 50mm spacer to sit the wheel properly in the guard.  Or run wider wheels in conjunction with quite a large negative offset.

This scenario is comforting as you can flush up the stance with a spacer.  Of course if they are too wide, or the offset too negative, or both, you're stuffed.  Only thing for me is I don't want to run anything bigger than a 25mm spacer and hope that is enough to make my stance hellaflush!

So are you going to run a 9" ET -25 on the front?  Might be an idea (note to self) to order the fronts such that they need a 10- 25mm hub-centric spacer so there is plenty of brake clearance (in case of upgrade) and the wheel can be adjusted with spacers if it ends up rubbing anywhere.  I note the 9" Campags are available from ET 0mm to -35mm but the 10" is a single offset wheel at -12.

Last question, what tyre size / brand are you running on the front?  I'm considering a 215/50 TB5 which is a bit skinny for a 9" (I've seen it expressed as a 225 as well but it's still too small for a 9").  Next size up in the TB range is the 265 which is BIG and I'd have to get some EZ power steering for sure!  Not sure if that would fit under the front without rubbing on lock etc.

I'll re-post the above table to make it clearer later on.

Please do let me know how Nick C goes with the spacer dimensions?  I'll probably be best off carefully measuring my car before determining rear spacers and front offsets as I'd guess the guards will vary depending on who did the welding.

I'm running 8's on the front - the 9's for the front required a -4 and std campags were -3.

ive got TB15s on the way which I think are in the 215 and 270. I'll let you know what we end up with in spacers - you're welcome to check them out and compare measurements to yours.

i really wanted Pirelli Corsa classics but the fronts aren't available at the moment so I'll probably give them a spin next time.

I'm running 8's on the front - the 9's for the front required a -4 and std campags were -3.

ive got TB15s on the way which I think are in the 215 and 270. I'll let you know what we end up with in spacers - you're welcome to check them out and compare measurements to yours.

i really wanted Pirelli Corsa classics but the fronts aren't available at the moment so I'll probably give them a spin next time.

Tyres are the same as I'll be running. So with the 9" are you saying that for 1mm offset difference you didn't want to use the 9s? -3 or -4 and a spacer would get you to the desired -25.

Thanks for the offer to check yours. What time frame are you working to?

Tyres are the same as I'll be running. So with the 9" are you saying that for 1mm offset difference you didn't want to use the 9s? -3 or -4 and a spacer would get you to the desired -25.

Thanks for the offer to check yours. What time frame are you working to?

no the 9" sounded perfect on paper but I was worried about handling with a 9" front and the fact the care might be 'over-tyred' 

timeframe is is pretty much now - hopefully wheels are on this week. Nick is also rebuilding my gearbox but that might take longer. I'll let you know when they're fitted up

no the 9" sounded perfect on paper but I was worried about handling with a 9" front and the fact the care might be 'over-tyred' 

timeframe is is pretty much now - hopefully wheels are on this week. Nick is also rebuilding my gearbox but that might take longer. I'll let you know when they're fitted up

Great.  I'm not far from Cascone so can pop down easily.  Be great to see them in the flesh.

Great.  I'm not far from Cascone so can pop down easily.  Be great to see them in the flesh.

Spoke to Nick today - tyres aren't on wheels yet and engine still out of car so will be hard to measure properly without that being in.

I didn't ask him, but suspect it will be a couple of weeks away to get the wheels on the car.  Happy for you to duck down and check it out when its all ready to go.

Spoke to Nick today - tyres aren't on wheels yet and engine still out of car so will be hard to measure properly without that being in.

I didn't ask him, but suspect it will be a couple of weeks away to get the wheels on the car.  Happy for you to duck down and check it out when its all ready to go.

I hear he's pretty busy doing a RW on some geezers Fiat. :ph34r:

I did see your car earlier in the week looking quite light in the rear end, I'm sure it will be worth the wait though. ;)

• 1 month later...

@wilburforce is your car ready for me to take a peek?

It would have to be bloody close! Nick had the engine back in late last week and a few extra things to do this week.  I'll give him a buzz and see how he's gone.

Do keep me informed as I'm right down the pointy end of choosing wheel offsets.  Be great if I could see it before Monday next week as I'm away for a little while after that and want to get mine ordered before I go!  Cheers.

Not all welded guards are created evenly. This includes left to right.

Yes. Noted. We'll test fit some wheels with known dimensions, lower the car to full low (no torsion bars) and measure. Probably go 10mm conservative and use spacers to trim out. 

In other news these are Braids 15 x 11 ET -17 no spacers. Could go another 10mm out which is the standard Braid offset of -27. 

66B38A5B-3069-407B-AF9B-63BDB162D45C_zps

B1E23156-29C0-4098-BF58-609669F7684A_zps

Archived