pros and cons of 76 2.7 engine

AndrewW

There is a bit of bad press on the 2.7 ltr motor on the net, I am wandering if they are as tragic as the articles advise. Is the magnesium block more prone to failure with age ? Is a recon motor ok to own ? Does the motor devalue the car as a opposed to a 3ltr SC ? Are they easy to live with ?

Engines do they have a  soul ? If so a 76 with SSI's and a fruit tuity exhaust is just as good as a 3.0 (IMO). 

Is a poor 3,0 still better than a good 2.7?

Don't believe everything on forums. But if you do, what's your opinion on sportomatics? Are the threads you read on US  forums? 

2.7's suffer some issues, but it's more an Issue particularly on cars with thermal reactors, we didn't have that here.

Dothey devalue a car? I don't think so and no more than any other motor in poor repair.

cheers 

I am rebuilding mine in the next few weeks, and I am upgrading it a long way. It will be interesting to see how it goes, but the legendary 73RS had a similar 7R case and it is revered. As Michel said, as long as it doesn't get too hot, it should last.

Absolutely nothing wrong with a 2.7 - after all, it is the motive power behind one of the most desirable models in the Porsche universe - the 2.7RS Carrera!.  It should be remembered that the RS Carrera had a C/R of only 8.5:1.  Most reported problems were caused by excessive heat, particularly the US cars which had to run with restrictive smog gear which would a. cause premature valve-guide wear and problems with pulled head studs.

To prep a 2.7 road engine assuming normal measurements carried out:

Employ Case Savers/Timeserts

7R is the strongest mag case - most 2.7s are I think

If it has a 5 blade fan, toss it and get an 11 blade one

Don't get too ambitious re power and add better oil cooling is used in hot environs.  It should last almost forever...

There is a bit of bad press on the 2.7 ltr motor on the net, I am wandering if they are as tragic as the articles advise. Is the magnesium block more prone to failure with age ? Is a recon motor ok to own ? Does the motor devalue the car as a opposed to a 3ltr SC ? Are they easy to live with ?

Are you thinking of ditching the Cayman S? 

Absolutely nothing wrong with a 2.7 - after all, it is the motive power behind one of the most desirable models in the Porsche universe - the 2.7RS Carrera!.  It should be remembered that the RS Carrera had a C/R of only 8.5:1.  Most reported problems were caused by excessive heat, particularly the US cars which had to run with restrictive smog gear which would a. cause premature valve-guide wear and problems with pulled head studs.

To prep a 2.7 road engine assuming normal measurements carried out:

Employ Case Savers/Timeserts

7R is the strongest mag case - most 2.7s are I think

If it has a 5 blade fan, toss it and get an 11 blade one

Don't get too ambitious re power and add better oil cooling is used in hot environs.  It should last almost forever...

I'll take the 5blade if/when you toss it. 

Archived