Cayman vs Cayman S

keg_guts

As a noob to the mid-engined range, apart from the engine size, what are the other differences between standard and S?

Looking post 2009, post IMS, also do factory options make a huge difference and should they factor into consideration?

Done a search but most discussions seem to be conducted around assumed knowledge of the differences.

Thanks

S has dual pipes where the base has a single pipe.

S has red calipers and slightly thicker rotors.

S has white dials instead of black.

The base engine sounds sweeter and spins up quicker than the S.

Cant remember any other differences.

Either will make you very happy... i'd personally go with the 'S' but i don't think either will disappoint. 

In addition to the Dials, there are a few more cosmetic differences between the two models. 

1. Wheels /  tyres

2. Front bumper/ splitter

3. Some internal trim bits

Options that are worth it depend on what you want to use the car for and can be a long list with Porsche. Unless you plan on racing the only options worth having are decent wheels and sports exhaust and transmission of your preference. PDK which was available in series 2 is quicker than manual

Good luck.. 

Thanks everyone. Not huge differences for a daily driver then.

When I get around to it, need a weekender and casual daily, city driver.

Missus has been through 3 clutches and a gearbox on 2 of her previous cars so has auto now, may end up with PDK.

Would prefer the S but will see.

cheers

I think the standard performance is poo compared to the S.

The S has more KW and more torque, and its noticeable - especially if you have a manual and dont want to change gears all the time.

I have an S (but in a boxster), but I've driven all 4 (Cayman and Boxsters) and the S in my view is definitely better

I'd suggest at least having a look at the base 981 and comparing it to the 987.2 if you can spring for the extra money. 981 Cayman's start from 90k now which is around 20k more than a comparable 987.2 base and most have less km's due to the lower age.

For what you are saying you want (weekender and casual daily) I think you'll find the 981 a lot nicer and for that money you are getting a more modern car in both actual age as well as the chassis developments as well as interior refinement, the base 981's 2.7 is a decent engine with 10hp more than the 987.2 and if you get PDK as you said you might the 981 has an improved unit.

I was looking at 987.2/981 Caymans but ended up getting myself a 981 Boxster S due to the bang for buck, they are 10-20k less than comparable Caymans in the S models and 10-15k cheaper in the base model and for me I couldn't justify the extra money for the Cayman given the performance of the Boxster feeling comparable to me.

Thanks rego

We have to rationalise our cars, 3 into 2 parking spots doesn't work and I'm sick of paying storage fees for the IB.

So some decisions to be made, also wouldn't mind getting back into the occasional track day.

Was leaning towards a 981 anyway with PDK as compromise for the missus.

steve

Archived