Though that finish looks great, and I reckon heads may be safe-ish I would tread carefully on any grit based blasting

What I'm referring to is what is know as silica embedding into the pores or galleries of engine parts, yes the same pores that absorb oil, oxidization and many other contaminants, to clean that off, all abrasive blasting methods use some form of grit, this grit gets into pores of cast aluminum or other hard to reach areas, and is extremely hard to remove......except when cycles of heat and vibration occur...meaning when your lovely new engine is running, the grit then goes around then engine and causes seriously accelerated wear and premature failure

I'm no expert, but the 928 community knows this issue well when people try and blast their intake runners / plenums with some form of grit based blasting

It's laboriously discussed in this thread 

https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/916835-powder-coating-engine-rebuild.html

So not wanting to scare you, and heads 'might' be fine, however camboxes and engine cases I would not consider, just chemical cleaning only

The media used is Spherical glass beads, which can be used both in wet (vapour blasting) and dry abrasive blasting. Wet abrasive blasting is favoured for the removal of carbon deposits and for other engineering "cleaning" applications (such as aerospace magnesium castings) because it is very unlikely to embed microscopic particles/ contaminants into the parent material. It has also HSE benefits as respirable dust is almost eliminated.

Cheers,

Dave

Can vouch for Ben's work, and he's a real car tragic (often at C&C in all manner of different things)

Thanks Dave for the scientific explanation as well, i wondered how it worked.

Archived