IMS Solution

yangin

On 1/2/2018 at 8:27 PM, dan_189 said:

Depends if your 997 has an M96 or an M96 or more identifiably if you have a 3.6 or 3.8 (Carrera S). The M96 you can replace the bearing by dropping the gearbox if you have the 3.8 an entire engine tear down is required to replace the bearing. 

In an interesting turn of events Porsche have a part number for a replacement M96 IMS bearing. 

I thought the early 997S motors still have a bearing that could be replaced with the gearbox out?

IMS engine number.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Ten Degrees said:

I thought the early 997S motors still have a bearing that could be replaced with the gearbox out?

IMS engine number.jpg

correct. M96 and M97 had the single row bearings for early (2005) 997 builds. After that they use the double row bearing which is much more reliable, but also much harder to replace.

On 06/01/2018 at 4:18 PM, Ten Degrees said:

IMS engine number.jpg

Its a question of M96 or M97 the base Carrera carried over the M96, the S had the M97 which is a case split to replace the bearing. 

I've never read of a M97 Carrera S that has had a replacable bearing without a case split. 

Archived