IMS Solution

yangin

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, dan_189 said:

This video is the very best explanation of the IMS featuring Jake Raby who invented the IMS solution:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i14LKvAW-So

The last time I read the IMS page on the Autohaus Hamilton website there were some inconsistencies, not sure if its been updated.

Ok, so it's clear now the 01's to 05's are the ticking timebombs, tick tick tick tick, get those bearings done just in case fellas.

:Beer:Declaring both my 2000 runny egg mobiles are now worth more than goggle-eyed 6.2'S :blink::Sweating:

41 minutes ago, iluvbrownale said:

There's plenty of conjecture about failure rates of IMS but is there any experience of the fixes going bang too? Or can it be guaranteed that an IMS replacement means you're safe?

The IMS solution and the IMS Retrofit Pro (not the classic which have failed) have no failures recorded.

Best to replace the IMS and then just drive and not worry about it!

2 minutes ago, dan_189 said:

The IMS solution and the IMS Retrofit Pro (not the classic which have failed) have no failures recorded.

Best to replace the IMS and then just drive and not worry about it!

Given the cost of repair for the engine, I can't think why anyone wouldn't insure themselves then.

2 minutes ago, pommymike said:

Given the cost of repair for the engine, I can't think why anyone wouldn't insure themselves then.

Well actually, quite an interesting story over on rennlist, an Australian on there went to replace the IMS with the IMS solution and the new one didn't fit. He had to rebuild the engine but turns out it was actually previously rebuilt with upgraded Nikkies cylinder liners and an upgraded IMS, WIN! Well kind of...

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/1039071-a-journey-into-the-unknown.html

Strange the previous owner didn't keep receipts of such extensive repairs

1 hour ago, iluvbrownale said:

There's plenty of conjecture about failure rates of IMS but is there any experience of the fixes going bang too? Or can it be guaranteed that an IMS replacement means you're safe?

the IMS solution is the best type of bearing, from an engineering point of view. It's the same type of bearing as Porsche used at the other (non troublesome) end of the intermediary shaft. 

all wear components will eventually fail.  LN offer a 5 year warranty on the part. I haven't seen anyone reporting failures from it yet on the US forums.

Hmmm - interesting read on Rennlist.

My suspicion is that the motor's primary problem was scored bores &/or DChunk then probably seized up - putting pressure on the IMS chains & spocket.

If the original rebuilder told the then owner that the motor was still somewhat ''delicate' after the fix, he would have onsold the car ASAP without talking about the motor.

BUT - as part of a purchase  PPI, wouldnt the ODB scanning software detect a timing out situation or cam mismatch??

The interesting part about part about the IMS solution going back to a plain bearing, is that all the plain bearings in aircooled motors on the intermediate shaft, don't last that long either.. I don't think they disintegrate, but when you pull a motor apart, it is common to replace them every time since they are usually already worn through the bearing surface. 

There is NO such thing as a IMS solution. There is no solution for i, if there was Porsche would of done it like they did in the Turbo and GT series motors.  All those other LN engineering style and other branded IMS are just gimmicks in my opinion that need to be replaced with most clutch changes. So its not really a solution.

At the end of the day, most of the cars having IMS issues are ones that sit around for months at a time and never get "DRIVEN". It's counter productive to a way a bearing is supposed to work.

3 hours ago, Pokiou said:

There is NO such thing as a IMS solution. There is no solution for i, if there was Porsche would of done it like they did in the Turbo and GT series motors.  All those other LN engineering style and other branded IMS are just gimmicks in my opinion that need to be replaced with most clutch changes. So its not really a solution.

At the end of the day, most of the cars having IMS issues are ones that sit around for months at a time and never get "DRIVEN". It's counter productive to a way a bearing is supposed to work.

I think you're confusing the IMS solution with the IMS retrofit. The solution is a lifetime replacement the retrofit has a service life and does indeed need to be replaced (usually whilst changing a clutch) to save on labour costs. Not being driven and IMS failure dont necessarily correlate from the cases I've read. 

19 minutes ago, Pokiou said:

can you confidently say, that the IMS solution is a complete solution and you will never ever have to worry about it again ?

Personally, no but the manufacturer does. 

I've got the IMS Pro retrofit in my car. When the service interval is up I'll be having the solution installed which is a lift time solution. It's a plain oil fed bearing rather than a splash lubricated ceramic hybrid ball bearing. Both are far superior im every way to the original and its an insurance policy against bearing failure.  

Don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to be a d1ck or anything but i too would love a life time solution but the IMS Solution is only 5 years warranty and even less for the retrofit.

IMS Solution LLC warrants that parts purchased from an authorized IMS Solution dealer or distributor, that were installed by a qualified installer and that were installed in compliance with, and precisely following, all guidelines and procedures, to include registration, set forth in the product installation guide, are free from defects in materials and workmanship for five (5) years/unlimited miles from the date of part installation for the single or dual row IMS Solution (106-08.20 & 106-08.40). The Single Row Pro IMS Retrofit is covered for two (2) years/24,000 miles from the date of part installation.

8 hours ago, Pokiou said:

can you confidently say, that the IMS solution is a complete solution and you will never ever have to worry about it again ?

I would say so as there is not a better engineering response to this issue and would be confident that this bearing would then outlast the rest of the engine.

I agree with Dan, if you suffer any sort of IMS bearing anxiety,  just stump up extra for the "Solution" so you're free to worry about something else! 

A different perspective....

With the 996 now approaching 20 years old (which for car companies is way past a "lifetime" for a model) and with a failure rate of under 5% (and if you listen to Porsche about 1 to 2%), the surviving original bearings are a lifetime one!

8 hours ago, Pokiou said:

Don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to be a d1ck or anything but i too would love a life time solution but the IMS Solution is only 5 years warranty and even less for the retrofit.

IMS Solution LLC warrants that parts purchased from an authorized IMS Solution dealer or distributor, that were installed by a qualified installer and that were installed in compliance with, and precisely following, all guidelines and procedures, to include registration, set forth in the product installation guide, are free from defects in materials and workmanship for five (5) years/unlimited miles from the date of part installation for the single or dual row IMS Solution (106-08.20 & 106-08.40). The Single Row Pro IMS Retrofit is covered for two (2) years/24,000 miles from the date of part installation.

All good, although I think we are confusing warranty and design in this discussion. That said the solution is "designed" to be a lifetime solution as it has no service interval. The retrofit is "designed" with a service interval. IMO warranty is not the discussion point, design is. Either way they are both upgraded parts which are superior to the original.

However whether one chooses to replace their bearing or not is entirely up to them. For me it's an insurance policy and the retrofit pro was the entry level policy which I was comfortable taking out (or putting in!?). 

1 minute ago, Ten Degrees said:

If you take your 997 to a Porsche Centre with concerns about the IMS, what do they replace it with?  Do they use the last version of the OEM bearing?

Depends if your 997 has an M96 or an M96 or more identifiably if you have a 3.6 or 3.8 (Carrera S). The M96 you can replace the bearing by dropping the gearbox if you have the 3.8 an entire engine tear down is required to replace the bearing. 

In an interesting turn of events Porsche have a part number for a replacement M96 IMS bearing. 

Archived