Claude Lelouch - C'était un Rendez-vous (1976)

Guest Nick987

Guest Nick987

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NJzrv4MaMo

Ok ok so this is one of my all time faves and has been floating around the traps and is a cult classic so I am guessing alot of you have seen it.

BUT

If you haven't then this is definitely some 'footage to watch before you die...' kinda stuff...

The film shows an eight-minute drive through Paris in the early hours of the morning, accompanied by sounds of a high-revving engine, gear changes and squealing tires. It starts in a tunnel of the Paris Périphérique at Porte Dauphine, with an onboard view from an unseen car exiting up on a ramp to Avenue Foch. Well-known landmarks such as the Arc de Triomphe, Opéra Garnier, and Place de la Concorde with its obelisk are passed, as well as the Champs-élysées. Pedestrians are passed, pigeons sitting on the streets are scattered, red lights are ignored, one-way streets are driven up the wrong way, center lines are crossed, the car drives on the sidewalk to avoid a rubbish truck. The car is never seen as the camera seems to be attached below the front bumper (judging from the relative positions of other cars, the visible headlight beam and the final shot when the car is parked in front of a curb on Montmartre, with the famous Sacré Cœur Basilica behind, and out of shot).

If you haven't seen it before (no spoilers please), and wonder what the f he is driving like that for...it aint to get a pack of smokes (c'mon he IS French afterall...) and all will be revealed at the end...ahh...the things we do...

The wonderful soundtrack is from a Faz - 275GTB...Enjoy!

Well done Nick,

A favourite of mine for many years, the film is called "Rendezvous". The car and driver were unknown for a long time however rumoured to be a Ferrari of sorts and the driver a prominent F1 racer of the time.

Hope everyone enjoys it as much as i have over the years.

Cheers

Danny

Thanks Nick for posting this. I haven't seen it before and can see why it is a classic. What a fantastic noise. I can't wait to show my 3 young boys who are car nuts as well - I wonder where they got it from!

• 1 year later...

Archived