Sunroof help needed

deankat

Since buying the car a  the sunroof had just been jammed in the closed position by the last owner as he said it wasn’t able to close fully and seal.
I know there are heaps of threads on pelican etc. showing a similar problem but none of the fixes have seemed to work.
It is able to open and close under its own power however it isn’t able to come upwards and be flush with the roof (around 1” too low”) 
seen here where It closes itself:
Seal:

5f8ec30acb32929442a899163bbfff8b.thumb.jpg.2263fae718146f7f17ff1988ae4dbfe8.jpg

Mechanism:

cf355b00a08726d2beb4855d3df42e59.thumb.jpg.236da013750886835e9430aaafc584fa.jpg

And here when pushed up by hand (fully sealed) 
Seal

IMG_0384.thumb.jpg.90f6ff3a052473d70dee384e22a2890f.jpg

Mechanism

71cb8b56d17b61431805a612aa01ebb5.jpg

It seems as everything should be there as we disassembled everything and put it back together to be how it was. The plastic “ramps” seem to be fully in tact and the motor is able to push the whole way and there are no stripped gears. 

Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers

Is that the standard seal? Looks a little thicker maybe? If so this could be making it hard to fully close?

If the sunroof is leaking it is more likely a blocked drain rather than the seal. The seal is not a seal as such and some water will get through, the drains are very important, make sure they all work.

My 1980 SC sunroof wouldn't open at all when I got it. Was a fairly big fix (new cables and seal etc) but the motor worked which was one saving grace. However the major problem we found was some genius had shoved a Bic pen down the drain tube channel for some reason only known to themselves. I agree that seal does look a little thicker/wider than mine which might be causing a problem. 

Sorry to hijack your thread deankat but I also have a sunroof issue/question. 

‘Washing the 930 yesterday I had the black cloth part of the seal come away and leave what looks like a rubber band ( the color of silicone) underneath. 

I am able to press the cloth bit back in but suspect the seal is shot.  

Are they hard to replace and is it a DIY job?

1 hour ago, Skidmarks said:

‘Washing the 930 yesterday I had the black cloth part of the seal come away and leave what looks like a rubber band ( the color of silicone) underneath. 

They can be hard if the old glue set like a rock as you need to get it off.. i just replaced all my sunroof seals on the 930 but you will need the special 3M glue & new seals. You will also have to take out the sunroof panel to replace the small rear seal on the sunroof panel itself, I also replaced the 4 plastic guides that help it close.. If you want help with it sing out i also have the glue. 

14 hours ago, Skidmarks said:

I did a diy thread on it  early last year.  It's fiddly, but easy. I used SIKA adhesive from Bunnings. But spray it into a container and brush it on. I sprayed it on, and made a bit of a mess.

• 2 years later...

I also have a sunroof issue on my 1968 911L The sunroof has always been a bit sluggish but it has now stopped working altogether 

On removing the roof I discovered that 1 of the rear connectors that is attached to the rear of the roof and and the cable had broken someone had previously repaired the other side with a ingenious small metal bracket See photos attached 

I am going to investigate getting both these plastic parts 3D printed as new cables from Pelican Parts are $220 each + postage 

Has anyone else had this issue on the early 911s

Peter Childs Riverton SA

9479A834-1256-46A3-901A-56A624D08873.jpeg

E6419A05-5788-4FFA-92F6-5A311CC894C6.jpeg

BCC147E6-1A9B-4143-9563-65056A652702.jpeg