So I drove a 1980 911SC Targa yesterday..

withers

Myself, I prefer to have very mundane and ordinary cars for everyday use for a couple of reasons ; Cost and care. Cost nothing and dont care if someone damages/steals it.

I think taking the jump to a 10+ year old car means that you will use it on weekends and high days, as an event, something special and a buzz.

Its like getting married? I mean why would you? seriously??? then you do and you invest time both fun and challenging, the relationship grows to a point where it is understood and need not be discussed.

This too, is true of Porsche ownership.

Don't be too put off if you are not taking the plunge. It takes time and learning and I mean real 3D learning, not what you may read on the web(!). Just look at cars, drive them and if you Bond get a PPI done, make an offer based on the PPI.

I drove a 991 Carrera S PDK a couple of weeks ago, a $300k Car. I didn't bond with it. I Liked it, it did some things that amazed me, but I wasn't involved with it...........Got in my 48 Yr old 356 and drove 100kms Home, with a massive smile and feeling. This is what you learn........................................

Rant Over.

I like your rant :)

I don't need an everyday car. In fact at home we just discussed how I'm really not in any hurry to find something to put in the garage. This is music to my ears, we can drive the mazda until I find the right 911 for me.

So the PPI is getting done. i liked the car. Bonded with it.. its in good nic. So we'll see what happens next!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I drove this 1980 SC again last Friday. I got out of it and thought "geez what was I thinking" it was terrible... the gearbox wasn't engaging gears properly. It was burning lots of oil from leaks I presume and it was overall really hard to drive. Now that I've had more experience looking at cars, it's really helped me gauge what I'm looking at.

As everyone says.. the more you test the better off you are in the long term. This is soooooo true.

Guest Nick987

You should be a veritable CONSULTANT by the time you finalise yours!

Yep, nothing beats heaps of test drives. You should get to a point where you can tell just by looking at the car, listening to it start and idle and driving it through first, second and third around some corners and some braking and you will pretty much know whether it is a winner worth PPI'ing or not and the PPI completes the picture.

Great effort Amanda. If only people would take the time and do what you are doing and be as thorough, there would be fewer dodgy cars being sold and palmed off out there...with fewer peeps getting toasted. :rolleyes:

Archived