So I drove a 1980 911SC Targa yesterday..

withers

Given there's not many (err am I the only?) women on here, I wanted to ask you guys a question about the seating position in these cars for a shorter person ie 5"5' well shorter than any of you guys I presume. Once I was sitting in it comfortably, ie could reach clutch, gear shift and sit with my wrist over the steering wheel.. I found the top of my head, above my forehead was just about touching the windshield. In fact, if I had sunglasses resting on my head.. they were getting smacked into my head.

Do any of your wives around my height drive your air cooled era Porsches and is this normal? How can I get around this if I choose to buy one? Or is it the Targa clips/ roof that are getting in my way? Or maybe it was just this particular car. I was SMITTEN with the driving experience! :DB) B) B) B) B) B) B)

As you can appreciate, the head is a precious and if (heaven forbid) I end up in a bingle, this is of some concern I think.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The seats, seemed quite padded in fact, they were incredibly comfortable. They did look a bit different to all the photos I've seen ie they were covered in a plush velour fabric. And there wasn't the usual pleather/vinyl covering on the bolsters and then a fabric insert. The rear seats matched perfectly. So maybe they aren't the original seats, could be a possibility.

This is the car

EDIT: I found this link here, this car of the same year has same seats

I might be talking to myself here.. but anyways, one thing i noticed from driving a 986 and now the SC, is that the pedals seem to sit further under the dash than any other car I've ever driven. So what is essentially happening is, my torso is sitting closer to the steering wheel for me to get the reach I need to get the clutch in!

Guest vas930

Amanda that sounds a bit odd.

I am about 5ft 10in and am a long way from the steering wheel.

My mum is about 5ft 2in and drove dads old 911s without that issue.

However, you have options.

You can lift the seat with some simple spacers and move the steering wheel out with a spacer as I have done.

This should have you in a perfect posi.

And you can make the shifter longer as I have also done. :)

Guest vas930

I might be talking to myself here.. but anyways, one thing i noticed from driving a 986 and now the SC, is that the pedals seem to sit further under the dash than any other car I've ever driven. So what is essentially happening is, my torso is sitting closer to the steering wheel for me to get the reach I need to get the clutch in!

And on a slight angle. :D

This is just one of the oddities of older 911s.

Dont worry about any of this, a good Porsche mech can adjust things for you.

Thanks Vas... thats just what I needed to hear.

At the lights, out the corner of my eye I could see some bloke hanging out his window.. I turn and look at him, he's like half way out the window of his ute.. learing at the 911. He then let me drive off so he could sit and listen to it lol Not even in it for 5 mins and I can kind of see the attention these cars get :)

Hi Amanda,

To be honest it took me quite a while to get my seat into the perfect position so I was completely comfortable. As Vas says there are ways to adjust the wheel etc to get it just right for you so don't let that put you off.

Sounds like you enjoyed your little time in the 911. There really is nothing else like them really, in my opinion anyway! I know everytime I get in mine to go for a drive it is just such a thrill.....

Good luck with the search, try plenty before yu decide.

Cheers

Chris

Hi Amanda,

Congrats on the drive and hope it all adds to the search experience.

My ex-former-late SC had sports seats. They were the orig set but a bit tatty. I am 5'10 & found them exceeding comfy. Getting into the car meant that you slithered over the raised bolster, dropping into the seat then lifting my legs into position.

You may/will find that the pedal are offset to the left and that you fill feel close to the screen than today'scars. Also, I found I had more control and awareness off all around if I had the seat back in a more upright position. More so if you engage in spirited driving.

Cheers

rEd

Hi Amanda, I quite like the look of that Targa and the price! Not all of us males are tall, I'm 5'4" so I raised the seat height a half inch for better visibility, fitted a Rennshift with a longer gearstick, and added 911 Design alloy sports pedals (UK), and fitted them a bit more to the right. You do sit further forward (NASCAR style) but this becomes OK.The offset pedals do take a bit to get used to, especially on a long trip . I think your lack of headroom is because it's a Targa, Coupe would not have this problem. We'll get you into a proper 911 yet.

And yes you will attract attention, Porsches are like Minis, everyone loves them.

Cheers,

Paul M

Thanks guys... thats all very valuable information for me! I think my sunnies when on top of my head were hitting the sun visor, which was this enormous thick padded thing... modding that is probably a good idea too.

@ Paul M - pffft proper 911 :P :P I was looking at the long shifter in the car thinking 'how on earth can that not be long enough for me, it looks huge' hehehe Oh and I always perve on Minis.. especially a real one!

Apparently that car is a Hamiltons Melbourne delivery. Only had 3 owners since new, the car has only lived in Victoria apparently. It also has a full P history (but I didn't ask to look at it). The sales people in NTs were incredibly pushy, by the end of the drive.. I just wanted to get out of there!

Duttons also have a red SC of similar vintage. I don't want a red car tho. I'm anti red cars :D just for me, not other people.

You remind me of that episode of Modern Family where Phil buys a 911 80's model convertible & Claire borrows it to go for a drive and picks up some young lads at the lights and then goes for a long drive away from the family.

Does my wife drive my SC you ask earlier on this thread - NO ....Claire loses the keys to the car 100 miles from home - Nuff said.

The seats, seemed quite padded in fact, they were incredibly comfortable. They did look a bit different to all the photos I've seen ie they were covered in a plush velour fabric. And there wasn't the usual pleather/vinyl covering on the bolsters and then a fabric insert. The rear seats matched perfectly. So maybe they aren't the original seats, could be a possibility.

I'd say they are original seats that have been recovered at some stage as that does not look like an original fabric.

Amanda,

If the red one at Duttons is the one I am thinking of it is originally a LHD car converted to RHD.

Red cars do go faster though!

Not if they aren't running! My 2 previous red cars, were rarely running.. only 2 red cars I've had and both were lemons

Is there any Porsche you didn't look at Stephen :P thanks for keeping me up to speed on the research you did. Hope you are loving your 996!

I'd say they are original seats that have been recovered at some stage as that does not look like an original fabric.

Cheers Randall. So with any P thats an Aus delivery, I can find out what original equipment it had by contacting Porsche Melb with the VIN right?

Hmmmmm. No one is saying anything about whether a Targa is a wise choice, when you can get a coupe with sunroof that does not have the same (negative?) connotations that affect Targa 911's.

Well?

I love that colour combo.. but its way outta my $ league.

Hmmmmm. No one is saying anything about whether a Targa is a wise choice, when you can get a coupe with sunroof that does not have the same (negative?) connotations that affect Targa 911's.

Well?

Thanks for your opinion on the Targa, I'm aware of their shortcomings.. but I actually LIKE them :) It's not a daily driver for me and will be garaged, so its not an issue if its a bit leaky or rattly. If I find a Coupe in my price range, then I'll look at it too.

Amanda,

if its garaged, happy days; lets face it if the weather is ordinary, you probably wont drive it anyway. My SC doesnt see much rain, although it is invigorating to drive when its wet, and certainly keeps you awake... :) :)

Cheers

Peter

Not if they aren't running! My 2 previous red cars, were rarely running.. only 2 red cars I've had and both were lemons

Is there any Porsche you didn't look at Stephen :P thanks for keeping me up to speed on the research you did. Hope you are loving your 996!

Cheers Randall. So with any P thats an Aus delivery, I can find out what original equipment it had by contacting Porsche Melb with the VIN right?

Truth be known I did not look at many, but seeing as I work in the same suburb as Dutton's I tend to view their vehicles quite a lot!

The gold 1985 coupe referenced elsewhere in this thread does look very nice, and I think the price has come down a bit as it seemed high for the number of kilometres when I first saw this car.

Archived