So I drove a 1980 911SC Targa yesterday..

withers

I don't know whether all things Italian are taboo on this Forum, but Dutton's also has an immaculate Ferrari F40 in their front window at the moment.

They actually have quite a few Porsches on their floor ATM.

From the sign on the window they are about to move to Madden Grove, Richmond.

There goes my lunch times staring in the windows instead of listening to the people I am with!

Darn.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know whether all things Italian are taboo on this Forum, but Dutton's also has an immaculate Ferrari F40 in their front window at the moment.

They actually have quite a few Porsches on their floor ATM.

From the sign on the window they are about to move to Madden Grove, Richmond.

There goes my lunch times staring in the windows instead of listening to the people I am with!

Darn.

Do they have more 911s than advertised on their site Stephen?

http://www.duttonsportingcars.com.au/

If you insist upon a Targa, then allow me to direct you to an early Targa to be auctioned on 27th August at Shannons, I haven't seen the car and don't know anything about it but am aware that it is coming up.

If you insist upon a Targa, then allow me to direct you to an early Targa to be auctioned on 27th August at Shannons, I haven't seen the car and don't know anything about it but am aware that it is coming up.

FYI

I was in Shannon's on Tuesday and had a look at that one, looks like a reasonably fresh paint job (yellow) and front seats re done not long back in a nice black and white houndstooth ( think that's the right term) didn't actually have the roof fitted, but rear seal area where it sits seemed to have lots of glue stuff on the seal and looked very untidy there to me, but i am certainly no expert on these things

It also appeared to have an oil leak and lots of oil gunk on the underside of the motor.

I thing from memory in the selling book they give out, they wanted between $35 and $40,000 for it.

Although other cars going up for auction had the pre purchase report available for perusal, the sheet for that one was not in the folder.

As I said, no expert but worth a look if your in the area.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Amanda

I dont know how mechanically minded you are but when choosing a model, you should try and get the latest year that your budget allows, early carburated cars need more attention in tuning etc,

I used to have a targa few years back and it was a really nice drive with the roof off.

good luck and keep us posted

Sanel

Hi Sanel,

Thanks for your input. Since driving this car, as much as i loved the driving experience.. I've come to realise that I would like something more modern (if budget allows) I don't want to go for 996+ so I'm now considering a Cab 993 version. This will be my only car, whilst not a daily driver.. I still need some reliability with decent air con etc From what i know the 993 should give me those mod cons.. whilst also, holding tight on it's current value (one hopes anyway)

The SC Targa is still way cool tho!

Amanda, that is a great choice, 993 is a great car, there were not many targas in the 993 body though, so the cab would be perfect, you can buy them for around 50k great 3.6l engine, a/c that works, it is a little smaller than the earlier cars too, so the cabin space should suit you, and the seat is height adjustable as well.

Amanda, that is a great choice, 993 is a great car, there were not many targas in the 993 body though, so the cab would be perfect, you can buy them for around 50k great 3.6l engine, a/c that works, it is a little smaller than the earlier cars too, so the cabin space should suit you, and the seat is height adjustable as well.

Yeh I'm not after a 993 Targa.. I hear they are a nightmare for spare parts as Porsche outsourced the roof (I learnt that off my great new friends on this site) Yes the seat adjust ability is perfect for me. I can sit in it comfortably and my head clears the top of the windshield. In the SC, it concerned me as my head was sitting up very high in the car.. in an accident, even a slight accident could prove very dangerous for my noggin! And whilst I could alter the seating position/lengthen the shift etc.. I wiould still have been driving a car that didn't really 'fit' me.

I'm very very excited about this as my next car.. so much so, that I'm a bit obsessed :wub: about it :):rolleyes:

The seat height thing with this particular car - Now that I've sat in a bunch of other 911 SC and 2.7s, I've realized the seats in the car in this thread have been altered. So I was sitting inches higher than other cars. The guy at Healy factory confirmed that for me yest when he watched me sit in their cars.

Interesting!

Could electric height adjustable seats be retro fitted to a SC?

why do you want to retro fit electric seats in an SC?, carrera has electric adjustable seats, so if you get a targa in 1984-1989, you would find it will have electric seats anyway, and you can get your targa and most importantly you will get a much better 3.2 efi engine which is a lot more reliable.

you can find some nice examlpes out there, they are also more common in leather too.

why do you want to retro fit electric seats in an SC?, carrera has electric adjustable seats, so if you get a targa in 1984-1989, you would find it will have electric seats anyway, and you can get your targa and most importantly you will get a much better 3.2 efi engine which is a lot more reliable.

you can find some nice examlpes out there, they are also more common in leather too.

Just thinking out loud... the seat height in the SC I drove was too high, my head hit the windshield. So the extra adjustability of the elec seats seem to fit better.

Anyways, I'd prefer a 964

The std Tombstones are a tad high, Turbo or Sport seats are perfect for those of us who aren't vertically Challenged. Or you can buy/fabricate adaptors to lower the height manually.

a 911 SC or C 3.2 is a perfect starting point for a first Porsche. It is my Belief, however that you need to be prepared to get your hands dirty(Alot) to Save some cash and also to bond and understand the car as the youngest of these is now 23 Years Old! They are still a 50k car, whether you pay it up front or spend it over a period of time. Condition is everything!

I do think that a 944 S2/ 968 is also a very compelling proposition as a first Porsche.

It would be very hard to step into an older Porsche from a relatively modern car like the Golf GTi as a daily proposition.

Thanks wasserkuhl,

The more I read.. the more I research, the more confused I am about what is right for me!

Given I'm selling a nimble, 5 yr old, technically advanced car for something that seems the opposite.. does make me question what the hell I'm doing!

Awit, any Porsche you buy, from a 944 to an SC to a Boxster, will be supremely nimble and balanced in a way that a Golf, however advance, can never be.

Most of the technological advances of the last 20 years have been about adding increasing layers of interference between the driver and the road. There are some reasons and circumstance why that can be construed as a good thing, but does nothing for driver involvement and enjoyment.

That's a good point James has made. Amanda, on a number of occasions of late you seem to be second guessing yourself on stepping out of the Golf and into a Porsche. There is no question that any Porsche of the age and price you are looking at will not have the smarts and tech of the Golf. But a Porsche will not have the insulated and disconnected feel of the Golf. I think that's what James is saying.

The driving experience is much more raw with a connected feel the Golf may not deliver.

My partner has an old MG (1968 MKII MGB). She rarely drives it, I try to take it out for a spin to keep it running - it drives very much like an old car. Brakes, steering, handling are all very primitive compared to a Porsche of the era. My car has another 10 years on Vic's, however it is a very civilised car to drive, only reminder is the lack of power steering - other than that it is as good as any of my 2 modern daily drives.

If I was'nt so obsessed with fuel consumption I would have bought a 964 in a heartbeat for a daily drive. (may still yet one day!)

th_251495_426834900685019_1888519586_n.jpg

The 964 I'm looking at is a C4 too.. so I'm guessing it will be even more grippy and fun to drive.

I'm going into this with my eyes wide open.. too wide I think! Hence the second guessing.

Anyways, I have to buy a car.. I've sold the GTI.. in just 4 days from advertising it! Also nimble probably wasn't the right word to describe the GTI.

I wish there was more 964s around in dealers yards so i could go test them out!

The golf GTI's used to be nimble, pretty big car now though. My daily is a Fiat 500 - it's as nimble as they come!

Fiats have come along way Hugh.

Reminds me of one of the best all time quotes :lol: , skip to 1:45

Thanks wasserkuhl,

The more I read.. the more I research, the more confused I am about what is right for me!

Given I'm selling a nimble, 5 yr old, technically advanced car for something that seems the opposite.. does make me question what the hell I'm doing!

Myself, I prefer to have very mundane and ordinary cars for everyday use for a couple of reasons ; Cost and care. Cost nothing and dont care if someone damages/steals it.

I think taking the jump to a 10+ year old car means that you will use it on weekends and high days, as an event, something special and a buzz.

Its like getting married? I mean why would you? seriously??? then you do and you invest time both fun and challenging, the relationship grows to a point where it is understood and need not be discussed.

This too, is true of Porsche ownership.

Don't be too put off if you are not taking the plunge. It takes time and learning and I mean real 3D learning, not what you may read on the web(!). Just look at cars, drive them and if you Bond get a PPI done, make an offer based on the PPI.

I drove a 991 Carrera S PDK a couple of weeks ago, a $300k Car. I didn't bond with it. I Liked it, it did some things that amazed me, but I wasn't involved with it...........Got in my 48 Yr old 356 and drove 100kms Home, with a massive smile and feeling. This is what you learn........................................

Rant Over.

Archived