The Bend

LeeM

• 3 weeks later...
On 09/01/2018 at 12:10 PM, Skidmarks said:

Going to be hard on tires and brakes.

Makes for good racing.  

Agree, that one of the reasons I’m building a new car.

i’ll  find out later this year, PCSA have secured a club round in September on the full circuit,.

May get my first non practice run even sooner as we also have a draft agreement to run 5 rounds in state Porsche race series in SA, with the two rounds at Tailem Bend scheduled for June and October.

How good does it look! I went to primary school just across the river for a few years!

The rest of the park looks awesome too, drag strip, rally cross, go karts, drifting, 4x4 and mountain bike tracks!

Would be awesome if there was a chance to organise a weekend there. 

• 2 months later...

Difficult day at The Bend today by the looks of it.

After a week of record high temps (it was 37 yesterday ferrchrissakes!), the forecasted change came nearly on time to create some havoc at the track, with high winds that whipped up a serious dust storm, then the rain came. Glad I wasn't there today that's for sure, though it looks like more rain tomorrow, so we'll be packing a brolly or two and 4 layers of clothes. Was going to take the 911, but I don't wanna get stuck that far from home if anything goes wrong with it, so the Territory it is! 

Great to see Chelsea Angelo in the top 10 of 27 cars in the GT3 Cup Challenge, only 0.4 off experienced GT3 driver and track owner, Sam Shahins time, and ahead of some other experienced Porsche pilots. Bloody impressive for a young girl in only her second drive in last year's Carrera Cup winning car, so I'm hoping all goes well for her in qualifying tomorrow morning.

I haven't seen the Group S times yet, but am looking forward to seeing Obrut  (Ryan Curnick), Alex Webster, Tim Lynas, Tom Walstab, and a few other classic Porsches on the grid tomorrow. 

Damn it was crap weather today at the track! 

Didn't matter, as me and the missus had a great time watching some good racing in Group S and GT3 Cup Challenge. 

Group S had mix of cars, yet Rusty French in his stunning black De Tomaso won convincingly, yet the minor placing were a couple of quick 911's. Great to see Obrut (Ryan) in the Bahama Yellow 911 on track and Cam Arnott in the paddock (nice to catch up fellas. I hope to make it again tomorrow), so I was in my element watching all the 911's. Man I wish I could race one ☹

Special mention for Chelsea Angelo (yes I'm a fan) in the GT3 qualifying 3rd in horrendous rain and wind. Race start, she bogged down off the line to get into turn one in 8th spot, but worked her way up by passing some more fancied drivers to run in 5th where she finished the 50 minute race. Very impressive drive for only her second time in the car at a new track. The winner was a 16 year old kid (name escapes me at the moment) who absolutely flogged them to win by 20 seconds. Another Matt Cambell in the making there I reckon.

The Bend will be an epic venue within 6 to 12 months, and the missus loved all the racing, so we'll be back there again to watch the Carrera Cup at the Supercar meeting in August, yet I'd like to get over the other side of the track to see what the viewing is like, as it was a long enough walk from the paddock to turn one, and as the wind was ridiculous, we werent going anywhere else without some sort of transportation! The missus has instructed me to book some accommodation for the Supercar meeting above the pits asap, so that's a bonus for me having her into motorsport too ??

Archived