Feb 14th - Hanging Rock - Best Motor Show in OZ

Hanging Rock VIC on Feb 14th is without doubt the Best show of cars in Australia.

I have been going for years but many I talk to don't know about it especially in the Porsche Fraternity (except the 356 club). Everything is there from early 1900 models,Mini,Ford GTs,Monaros,XU1s,Cobras,Hot Rods,British,European,American,yes even Russian.

$20 per Car Show or Park,talk to the owners over a picnic lunch under the trees. Its GREAT !!

What we need is a show of Porsches. I will be going early (It gets bigger every year) and can post a meeting time and place later.

You will kick yourself for not going before - pencil it in NOW !

Cheers, 9fan.

Hi 9fan,

Don't think I can make the January run you suggested however I'm loving the idea of the Hanging Rock gig. Consider it in the diary. Seeing you've been before maybe we should take you up on your offer to sort out a time and meeting place?

Cheers,

Kerry

Hi 9fan,

Great heads up on this car show. Didn't know it existed. I will watch the forum in the lead up, I'm keen to get there one way or another. Is there a web site you know of where I can have a look?

Regards,

AndyS

For those interested, I thought you might like to know that the organisers state the following:

"Once inside the Reserve, drivers must follow the directions of the marshalls and park where allocated. Vehicles (and clubs) wanting to park together MUST coordinate their travel to the reserve and arrive together."

Doug

Cheers Doug,

What do you think 9fan, should we reserve a group park?

Maybe I should start a new topic asking for membership interest to get a sense of whether a group park reservation would be required?

Kerry

Hi Kerry,

I do not think that you can pre-register for this event.

It's not really clear, but I think that to park together as a group, we have to roll up to the reserve all together in one group. IMHO.

Cheers,

Doug

Hi Kerry,

I do not think that you can pre-register for this event.

It's not really clear, but I think that to park together as a group, we have to roll up to the reserve all together in one group. IMHO.

Cheers,

Doug

Yeah you're right Doug, sounds like we'll need a convoy then, - meeting times and places to be decided closer to the date eh?

Kerry

Guest peter cromie

Hi Kerry,

Why not put it on the culb web site as a run for the Mid-911 reg. (including all Porshes)

Regs, Peter C.

Hi 9fan,

Don't think I can make the January run you suggested however I'm loving the idea of the Hanging Rock gig. Consider it in the diary. Seeing you've been before maybe we should take you up on your offer to sort out a time and meeting place?

Cheers,

Kerry

Hi Kerry,

Why not put it on the culb web site as a run for the Mid-911 reg. (including all Porshes)

Regs, Peter C.

Hi Peter,

Sounds like a good idea to me, however as the PorscheForum is open to all Pcars, can we list it as a "general" register run rather than Mid911? Also, considering a fair percentage of our PF members are not members of PCV, the invitation would go out to all within the forum.

GoogleMaps list the drive up the Calder (from Richmond) to take about an hour, however there must be better roads than these to travel there, anyone got any experience and suggestions?

Kerry

Kerry,

Yes did not think of that you would have to ask Carly, might be better to send out invite from the forum as you say.

Peter.

Hi Peter,

Sounds like a good idea to me, however as the PorscheForum is open to all Pcars, can we list it as a "general" register run rather than Mid911? Also, considering a fair percentage of our PF members are not members of PCV, the invitation would go out to all within the forum.

GoogleMaps list the drive up the Calder (from Richmond) to take about an hour, however there must be better roads than these to travel there, anyone got any experience and suggestions?

Kerry

Hi All,

I have made the "Rock" a suggestion to the PCV the last 2 years but no action, that's why I have suggested it on this forum.

I suggest that we meet at the BP near Calder Raceway on the outbound side at 0700 to leave at 0715 to park as a group. It is very difficult to get to a group area if you arrive later.

For those wanting a drive it is best to leave mid afternoon and choose a route then.

Cheers, 9fan.

Hi 9fan,

I had an email chat with Carly (administrator at the club) earlier today and her response was:

"This event had been on the social committee’s radar in previous years but it seemed to always clash with one of our own events.

It’s great that you’ve discovered it this year being on a “free” Sunday.

We could promote it as an “Invitational Event” so that any PCV members or Forum users can attend without worrying about who’s a Club member."

I'll liaise with her and the PFA can make an invitation for PCV members to join us.

Point taken about the early start. It has been a while since I was out at Calder, I seem to remember a large service station on the inward bound side, you're suggesting we meet on the outward bound side... if there turns out to be 20 cars, maybe something off the road would be better? Should we meet at the entrance to Calder Raceway?

What about here at 7am for a 7.15am departure?

post-2-126258061949_thumb.jpg

Kerry

Hi Kerry,

There is a large servo + Macs on the outward bound lane just past the raceway now

Plenty of parking for the toys.

Regards

Red3.2

Cheers Red3.2,

Of course I'd just sent off the details for Carly to email out to members!!! Hopefully I've put a hold on that, so you're suggesting there is a new service station just past Calder Raceway -how many metre approx? - that has, most importantly at that hour of the morning, a MacDonalds?!

:D;)

Could you confirm metres from Calder for my club emailer, and I'll update that info...

Cheers,

Kerry

FINALLY !!! We will have a PORSCHE Party at the Rock.

It will be a Great day for all. Just hope weather is on our side (will be cancelled on day of fire warning).

Cheers, 9fan.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

Suggest you bring camp chairs.

I like to sit along from the main gate and watch the passing parade coming in.

Not only do you get to see what will be there (saves a lot of running around later) you also get to hear them which is Great !

Cheers, 9fan.

Kerry,

At this stage not sure, but people traveling from the south may have a problem the tunnel & west gate on to the bolte maybe closed for the 'run for kids' might have to take the long way around up eastlink and around the zoo.

Regs, Peter.

Kerry,

At this stage not sure, but people traveling from the south may have a problem the tunnel & west gate on to the bolte maybe closed for the 'run for kids' might have to take the long way around up eastlink and around the zoo.

Regs, Peter.

Cheers Peter, up the Tulla and off onto the Calder might be the go.... at that hour of the morning, I'd figure 25 minutes from the city to Calder Park? Any northerners with a better estimation?

Kerry

Hi Guys

Hope you have a great time. its a really good event although hope it isnt too hot as it can be pretty hot and dusty place. We went about 10 years ago with our 66 convertible mustang and had a great day. Cannot come this time due to committments with our daughter but we are planning to go on the PCV club run around the two bays on Feb 21 so if anyone is going to that I look forward to meeting you.

Have fun!

Chris

Archived