997 Gen 1 Sports Exhaust

Ten Degrees

Hi all,

I have a 2005 997S with factory PSE.   Does anyone on this list have one and how does it work??  

When I start the car it defaults to "off" (but the light is on).  When I turn it on the light goes off? Which by the way I have read is normal, but seems odd?   Also it seams to switch on and off depending on how fast I'm going and how hard I accelerate?  For example, if I accelerate easy, it just stays on, but if I go a little harder (but not too much) it switches off until I back off a little?  And this only happens up to about 80kph. After that it stays on no matter how hard I drive.   Is this right???

I have read that the Euro cars of the same model switch off the PSE between 50-80kph?

Can anyone give me some information on this model?

BTW, it's just the greatest sound ever!  Should be standard on all S models...

thanks,   Tim

Hi ten Degress my 06 997 s wasn,t fitted with it so I did the fister D muffler mod to achieve the same result and sound ............why don,t you disconnect  the vacuum hose of the PSE and run it in sport or loud all the time .........The cars sound very farty in stock exhaust mod and I hated mine,,,I love the sound of the PSE open all the time that,s why I did the Fister D mod on mine.......every one thinks that is the normal sound for a 911 nice rumble on idle and howls when you get on it,,,,,,it is a great sound and puts a massive smile on your dial :D

8 hours ago, Raven said:

Hi ten Degress my 06 997 s wasn,t fitted with it so I did the fister D muffler mod to achieve the same result and sound ............why don,t you disconnect  the vacuum hose of the PSE and run it in sport or loud all the time .........The cars sound very farty in stock exhaust mod and I hated mine,,,I love the sound of the PSE open all the time that,s why I did the Fister D mod on mine.......every one thinks that is the normal sound for a 911 nice rumble on idle and howls when you get on it,,,,,,it is a great sound and puts a massive smile on your dial :D

Yep,  can do that.......but I really want to know whether the operation of mine is normal.     And to be honest, although i love the sound, I also think there are some very relevant times not to have it on......

The only reference i have in my owners manual is how to operate the PSE button and that it pretty bloody vague ...

Sports Exhaust System operation

Switching on and off

The sports exhaust system can be switched on
and off when the ignition is switched on using
button A.
When the sports exhaust system is switched on,
the light-emitting diode in the button lights up

10 minutes ago, Raven said:

The only reference i have in my owners manual is how to operate the PSE button and that it pretty bloody vague ...

Sports Exhaust System operation

Switching on and off

The sports exhaust system can be switched on
and off when the ignition is switched on using
button A.
When the sports exhaust system is switched on,
the light-emitting diode in the button lights up

Ha!  .....my owners manual has no reference at all?!  ....   What year is your car?

MY 2006 C2 S ,,,,,,,,,built sept 05 was fitted with standard quite exhaust ,,,,,,,,so mufflers came out and did the fister D mod with 1 inch 3/4 bypass pipe sound the same as PSE just cant turn if on and off ...

very little info online about PSE on 997.1 cars try starting a thread on Reinnlist perhaps the North American owners will have seen it more ,,,certainly a very rare option on Australian Delivery cars...

I have a 997.1 with PSE .The values will close automatically due to noise emissions so this is completely normal. Germany/Swiss drive-by noise regulations.

45-75kmh is the closed zone (it's speed, not rev-related).

I just disconnected the brown plug which will leave it open all the time :)

7 hours ago, 911 Snake said:

I have a 997.1 with PSE .The values will close automatically due to noise emissions so this is completely normal. Germany/Swiss drive-by noise regulations.

45-75kmh is the closed zone (it's speed, not rev-related).

I just disconnected the brown plug which will leave it open all the time :)

Yes that's what I've read, but mine definitely works on revs, up until it hits 75kph?   It's due for a service soon, so I'll talk to Porsche Brisbane and see what they have to say

• 4 weeks later...

Guys,

I have a 997.1 and been contemplating doing the Gundo Hack or just putting on a cat back system

Porsche Brisbane want $6.5k for the PSE which just blew me away.

Has anyone gone the cat back sports system, which one and was it what you expected.

Any thoughts and experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

So I'm pretty sure mine doesn't operate the way that you've said, could be cause I don't quite understand, or because mine is an '07 model? 

When the light is on, the valve is open. When the light is off the valve is closed. The car defaults to the light being off, you need to push the sport button to turn it on (open the valve) which also turns on PASM. If I'm on the road, I usually then push the PASM button to turn PASM back off, and leave the valve open.

11 hours ago, sleazius said:

So I'm pretty sure mine doesn't operate the way that you've said, could be cause I don't quite understand, or because mine is an '07 model? 

When the light is on, the valve is open. When the light is off the valve is closed. The car defaults to the light being off, you need to push the sport button to turn it on (open the valve) which also turns on PASM. If I'm on the road, I usually then push the PASM button to turn PASM back off, and leave the valve open.

Same button setup on my 07 GT3 .. 

Archived