996 Turbo owners & optimal manual gear change timing

Thommo66

This may sound like a weird topic for those of you who are seasoned P drivers.  But having had my turbo now for around 4 months and it being my first P I am still learning how to drive it " well ".

I drove a PDK 2016 991 Carerra yesterday with a mate.  Obviously it's PDK and so it's going to be very different but it feels like my 996tt gear change from 1st to 2nd is incredibly short and I'm just wondering whether I'm not keeping my foot down long enough in 1st and allowing the revs to hit 4 or 5k or I should keep doing what I am and get out of 1st as fast as possible into 2nd.

The overriding objective being as fast out of the blocks as possible.  For the sake of the discussion assume I'm trying to get from 0-100.

Now I know not all 996 turbo's are equal and many have been modified.  Mine is stock standard - no mods.

Keen to get some feedback notwithstanding I'm sure a driving course at some stage would help ! 

Assuming it's a manual? From 1st to 2nd feels short coz it gets there so quick hehheh . Well if youré giving it to it and I'm not talking dragstrip but trying to get near on the most out of it in a general sense and still want to look after the car -  and I don't mean high revs and dump the clutch. Look after the mechanicals somewhat! (clutches wear sooner or later anyway) Get the revs up and get it hooked up quick and soon as you see the region of 6000 shift to second, clutch in and out quick, and then the same through to third etc. I would never slam my turbos into gear it's not how to look after a car, totally unnecessary anyway, it aint a dragstrip and if it was you'd be better with an auto all day long

0 - 100 huh? well you're nearly there in first!:huh:

6 minutes ago, Troubleshooter said:

Assuming it's a manual? From 1st to 2nd feels short coz it gets there so quick hehheh . Well if youré giving it to it and I'm not talking dragstrip but trying to get near on the most out of it in a general sense and still want to look after the car -  and I don't mean high revs and dump the clutch. Look after the mechanicals somewhat! (clutches wear sooner or later anyway) Get the revs up and get it hooked up quick and soon as you see the region of 6000 shift to second, clutch in and out quick, and then the same through to third etc. I would never slam my turbos into gear it's not how to look after a car, totally unnecessary anyway, it aint a dragstrip and if it was you'd be better with an auto all day long

0 - 100 huh? well you're nearly there in first!:huh:

yeah - its manual I'm talking about and you're right ... I could possibly get from 0 - 100 in first but to your point.  I don't want to be thrashing this baby and I'm not drag racing.

Just curious as to how other 996tt owners do their manual changes.  I seem to spend most of the time in 3rd .... it's got an amazing band of power.  Love it !!!! 

Yep. Love the 996tt ! 

It took me a good 6-9 mnths to make my mind up to buy this specific model.  I was enamoured with the look of the 993 and the driving experience with smaller cockpit and that air cooled flat six sound.  However, the 996tt is simply intoxicating with the raw power and the more I drive it the more I love it.

A mate of mine is in the market again having just sold his 997.1 CS and now looking at a 991.2 but I keep encouraging him to checkout the 997tt given a similar budget range although the manuals can go as high as 270k given what I've seen on carsales and the odd dealer.

17 hours ago, Thommo66 said:

This may sound like a weird topic for those of you who are seasoned P drivers.  But having had my turbo now for around 4 months and it being my first P I am still learning how to drive it " well ".

I drove a PDK 2016 991 Carerra yesterday with a mate.  Obviously it's PDK and so it's going to be very different but it feels like my 996tt gear change from 1st to 2nd is incredibly short and I'm just wondering whether I'm not keeping my foot down long enough in 1st and allowing the revs to hit 4 or 5k or I should keep doing what I am and get out of 1st as fast as possible into 2nd.

The overriding objective being as fast out of the blocks as possible.  For the sake of the discussion assume I'm trying to get from 0-100.

Now I know not all 996 turbo's are equal and many have been modified.  Mine is stock standard - no mods.

Keen to get some feedback notwithstanding I'm sure a driving course at some stage would help ! 

Rev limiters are fine ! Make the gears long 

17 hours ago, Troubleshooter said:

In general driving 2nd 3rd n 4th is where it's at, definately no need to treat your baby harshly .. They're a good bit of kit huh!!

+1 For street driving its all about 2nd and 3rd and not convinced the stock clutch can take a bit of beating on in first.  But I must be on my lonesome ( or is it pretty binary  eg stock camp or brought tweaked camp) and just a view but if you are not foreign to turbo cars,  stock 996tt based on my own experience  is rubbish to drive( from a boost hit / useable power band for street duties) if you aren't just rowing through the gears as quick as you can.  Eg stock in 3rd or 4th and drop a gear then get on it and I thought  how unresponsive . Sure after about 1.5 to 2.0 sec the turbo' s spool after about 3500 rpm and hang but one eyes  on the speedo.  BUT chuck a tune on it and a free flowing exhaust and throttle response is comparatively instantaneous with the turbos spooling a good 500rpm earlier which gives you a somewhat  better and more useable power band which rounds the car off as a great bang for buck 

Spend circa 6k on a tune and exhaust and save some pennies for an upgraded clutch down the track.  Eg boost hit from a roll in 2nd and from third won't have you  pre occupied with caring about 1st.  Eg to go with the handling and braking you'll have more instaneous throttle response from the mezger down low in the rpm range  and not have to operate in the 6000 rpm plus range like some fellow brethren.

Get your hands on keys to a tuned one 

Archived