Neat 911 SC_WTB

hugh

8 hours ago, davidtran said:

It was actually interesting, one of the sellers told his car was perfect and an investment that won't be heading anywhere but north with pricing. I then asked him why he has dropped the price twice. He didn't really know what to say to that. Another seller said his mate sold a similar car 12 months ago for what he is asking and that's why he priced it like that.

There are quite a few good cars up at the moment, just unrealistic prices.

Yep, that’s Interesting but true, there’s some delusion across all the Porsche models wrt values. I was offered a 924T recently that although highly original, is in need of a paint job and has a running fault with the turbo so couldn’t be driven properly. Owner had seen the minter at CTS advertised for $30k and told me he wanted $15k for his “because mine is about half as good as that car so it’s worth half as much”

Hmmm. I was thinking more like a generous offer of $8k, sadly that didn’t quite meet the sellers expectations. He wants to sell so he can restore another car he’s more interested in, sadly he’s been told by Richmond’s and CTS that his car’s worth way more than anyone else thinks, so he’ll be looking at it on his driveway for quite some considerable time is my view. If it were me I’d sell and invest it into the the car he really wants, but then that’s just me....

I once looked at a 911 that had a broken engine (couldn't determine what the issue was... supposedly it was a $200 fix .. ha ha), and one of the doors didn't seem to quite close correctly which I thought might suggest a bent frame. I decided the car wasn't for me and explained to the owner that after looking at the car I wasn't going to proceed. He was keen to hear what I thought it was worth and I replied with a number that I thought was fair considering the risk .. he replied " You've just insulted me, this car is worth much more". He sold it shortly after and so therefore I suppose it was worth more, however it wasn't worth more to me. Everyone determines value in different ways and ultimately a sale occurs when a buyer and seller are aligned at how the car is valued. The more aligned the seller ensures they are to the buying group, the greater the likelihood of a quick sale. We do all tend to over value the things that we own as we associate the great memories and sweat equity we have in each our things, yet discount that when buying from someone else. I feel the greatest challenge as a seller is to separate memory value from what the market expects a car of xyz condition is worth.

Using Mike's example, I would value the 924t differently as I've dived deeply into my 924t's mechanicals so have a better feel for the risks associated with the turbo. I would agree however that at $15k, I would expect a car that was relatively sorted knowing that a engine rebuild can easily be $10k.

The old saying 'One man's trash is another man's treasure' applies to most cars when values are being discussed. I can't see 'value' in most old cars, as most of them are temperamental, frustrating, give you the shits money pits, but they're bloody good fun when they work! 

Any car is worth what someone is prepared to pay if they're a genuine buyer/enthusiast (not a flipper)

Archived