986 Boxster S vs 987 Boxster nonS

withers

That magazine is also available through the Apple New Stand so if you have an Ipad or Iphone you can download copies, i think they are just over $6.00 each or something like that. i guess it is probably available for google devices too.

just a thought....

C

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think its great you have come to ask all the wise folks here and they are all really keen to assist. I love that! Ultimately its your money Ralph. And of course emotions have, will and are going to play a big part of this. My little rubric was designed to take the emotion out to gauge what is really important and THEN see how you feel. What everyone has said here will probably be the most important 'advice'...buy a 987 :D ...NO...wait :blink: ...go and test drive heaps more cars, then forget about it for a while, then see how you feel. And the answer will be waiting for you grasshopper. The bowel knows what the mind cannot see because the heart is burning... Or some such...go watch a kung-foo movie :lol:

I'm pleased my questions aren't you driving you crazy :) hopefully all my questions are also assisting and will assist, anyone in the future that also wants to own a Porsche but isn't sure which one is right for them.

I need and will try driving a few more cars thats for sure. I can't stop thinking about that 1980 911SC and at the same time just love the idea of the 987!

So until I feel certain.. I'll keep plugging away as I am :)

Guest Nick987

No probs here, my pleasure! I remember what I went through, solo, didnt even think of posting on a thread when I was researching mine!

I love the '80's SC's too, just quietly, have been trawlin'and'mirin in the carsales of late...

And Amanda?

You know you 'can' get both!

Hi awit. Where did you find this mag? Is it current?

Hi Amanda & Doish, I wasn't able to find the mag in a newsagent today but can order it online via the magazine site in the UK. It will cost about AUD$12.00 including postage so may be cheaper than you buying it and posting it up to Sydney. (Unfortuantely I don't have an Iphone or pad so can't download it). Doish, did you have any luck? Let me know if you would like me to order one for you as well.

Hi Amanda & Doish, I wasn't able to find the mag in a newsagent today but can order it online via the magazine site in the UK. It will cost about AUD$12.00 including postage so may be cheaper than you buying it and posting it up to Sydney. (Unfortuantely I don't have an Iphone or pad so can't download it). Doish, did you have any luck? Let me know if you would like me to order one for you as well.

Wow that's cheap when you consider the news agent $9:95. I'm more than happy to pick them up. Will leave it up to you guys. I need to know by around 10am tomorrow.

Wow that's cheap when you consider the news agent $9:95. I'm more than happy to pick them up. Will leave it up to you guys. I need to know by around 10am tomorrow.

Hi Amanda, I managed to purchase two copies online via the UK site as Doish was not able to find a local copy either. Thank you for the offer to pick them up for us. I am looking forward to reading it.

• 2 weeks later...

You have several classes of Boxsters depending on style, engines, major upgrades, etc. These are US model year changes, by the way. Yours may be different.

97-99 2.5 with Gen 1 IMS

00-03 2.7 or 3.2 S with Gen 2 IMS

03-04 same with improvements

05 2.7 or 3.2S

06-08 2.7 or 3.2S with Gen 3 IMS

09-12 2.9-3.4S IMS-less design

13-

Some of the US model year differences can be seen here. I only point out that there were major transitions every couple of years so you watch for them and don't think there is just a 986 and a 987.

The auto transmission was a Tiptronic from 97 thru 08 and after that a PDK. So lots of differences and price points.

I owned two and actually enjoyed the '99 2.5 as much as the '01S as you could put your foot down harder/longer before you had to lift. Is the 987 superior, yes. Worth the extra coin? Depends on the price and the importance of price to you.

There is also buying guides, and lots of other background articles on that site. Mostly oriented to the 986.

Loved both of mine. Very reliable.

Let me stress that if you go to that site, you'll learn too much. Don't let it scare you. All cars have problems, it is just we are so passionate about ours and keep them running for so long that we tend to know more about them and tell each other than other brands. And I hear their own 911-specific issues stories from their owners.

Hi Amanda, the magazines arrived yesterday from the UK. Great read. Doish is foaming at the mouth to get his hands on it! Thanks again for pointing it out.

Steve

My 2 cents:

I drove both the 986 and 987 when I bought 2 years ago, and settled for the 986 S. The 987 is a great car as well, but I found the difference between the models not that big, for example, as the new 981 which in my view is a big step up from the 987.

For me the choice depended on the spec (manual was a must) and history.

The golden rule, as always: If you're in doubt, walk away. If you don't like what you see, or don't like WHO you see, walk away. The first 987 I drove was not tight, but I didn't know this until I drove it again back to back with a good one - turned out it had hidden accident damage.

Archived