986 Boxster S vs 987 Boxster nonS

withers

Guest Nick987

Loved the clip, brilliant.

Love those classic Meyekl Kayn moves! And getting retaken by the car you have just passed on the inside, on the inside!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amanda. Daily driver? In all seriousness the 987 would be the way to go.

Great air con in the summer, heating in the winter, PSM (boring but safe).

Yes it will depreciate more and may actually cost MORE to run that an old classic but it's a much more convenient car.

I don't need a daily driver. The car wont be used to commute to work.

Sorry about that. For some reason I thought it was a DD! Maybe because I figured it was replacing the GTI.

In that case I retract my previous advice and suggest you revisit the old school Targa concept.

Crap heating. What air conditioning? No PSM. Raw. Air cooled..................Perfect Porsche!!

Sorry about that. For some reason I thought it was a DD! Maybe because I figured it was replacing the GTI.

In that case I retract my previous advice and suggest you revisit the old school Targa concept.

Crap heating. What air conditioning? No PSM. Raw. Air cooled..................Perfect Porsche!!

No problems! Yes from a 2008 to a 1980ish is quite a jump. I work in the CBD and only live 6km out, so I don't use my car to commute BUT having reliability is something I want for peace of mind. I drive from Ascot Vale to Oakleigh twice a week and my parents live out in Romsey. So I would like to think I get in my Porsche and have faith that I will make it to my destination and back. But if the car was off the road for a few days to get fixed, that wouldn't be a big deal.

Also, it will get parked at the odd supermarket too.

Guest Nick987

Geez! This all sure is making the decision easy!

Back up a little...

Here is what I would ask myself...

Do I want a roof or open top?

No roof = boxster or targa

Roof = classic

Do I want modern options like PSM, fuel injection, aircon and a more modern feeling driving experience?

Yes = boxster

No = classic

Do I want a vehicle easier to work on outside of the P world?

Y=classic

N=boxster

Is resale value and depreciation important?

Y=classic

N=boxster

Is outright performance more important than the total package?

Y=S car

N=Non S car

Is reliability and peace of mind important?

Y=newer model

N=doesn't matter

Add any more questions required.

Then on a scale of 1 to 5 rate the importance of each question to your lifestyle.

You should be swayed more by the answers to the higher scored questions or at the very least get really clear on what is important.

This process won't give you the answer mechanically but should clarify what is important and a priority over what isn't and will be a feeling thing...

We all love what we drive and will be enthusiastic in our recommendations based on our choices because we want others to share the joy. This may not make your decision any easier!

Of course, I am probably stating the obvious and you know all this anyway. Just my thoughts is all...

That's a really good way of looking at it. It makes a lot of sense for a car to be a logical purchase, but for me, the emotion involved is such a driver.

You probably still need to drive a few more models across the range of years.

It may be a serious consideration to join us on a SMT in the near future where there is a regular mix of old and new you can see.

Toto you are 100% correct.

That is a good way of looking at it but IMHO logical approach does not work especially with old cars.

Prior to buying my air cooled 911 I spent months trying to justify the purchase to myself in a logical manner and failed. There were many better options - cars that were safer, faster, more comfortable, cheaper to buy/run etc.

In the end I had to admit that I simply want the car and that is all there is to it. ;)

It's the emotion that gets you Randall.

Wether it is an older air cooled or water pumper.

Different strokes for different blokes, or maybe "Chicks", "Girls", "Sheilas", "Ladies" in this instance!!!!!!!!!! (Not really certain what to substitute for "Blokes"!!!!!! :D :D :D

Look what I just found

porsche.jpg

Nick I'll come back and answer all your questions..

Agree with other statements too, whilst you can try and make a logical decision, the heart knows what it wants.. it is most definitely a emotional decision at the end of the day. Especially when you have no DD requirement.

Prior to buying my air cooled 911 I spent months trying to justify the purchase to myself in a logical manner and failed. There were many better options - cars that were safer, faster, more comfortable, cheaper to buy/run etc.

In the end I had to admit that I simply want the car and that is all there is to it. ;)

Hi randall, you raise a very valid point.

I consider myself very logical, objective and unemotional about decision making. When it came to me seeing the 73 E I just fell for it. I tried a number of bargaining strategies and in the end paid more than I thought it was worth (which is unusual for me). The emotion got to me :angry:

"Different strokes for different folks" Theo ;)

And Amanda it is good to see that it is not just boys that want their toys :)

Geez! This all sure is making the decision easy!

No no, its not making the decision easy. I hate to admit it but I'm easily persuaded in either direction right now. I just need a few classic owners to say 'no no mine is great, reliable as' and then a Boxster owner to say 'oh no no don't go classic, they cost heaps.. my boxster has done a gazillion kilometres and all i've done is an oil change and some tyres' I'm impressionable!

Roof = classic

Do I want modern options like PSM, fuel injection, aircon and a more modern feeling driving experience?

Yes = boxster

No = classic

Y=classic

N=boxster

Y=classic

N=boxster

Y=S car

N=Non S car

Y=newer model

N=doesn't matter

Add any more questions required.

Then on a scale of 1 to 5 rate the importance of each question to your lifestyle.

You should be swayed more by the answers to the higher scored questions or at the very least get really clear on what is important.

This process won't give you the answer mechanically but should clarify what is important and a priority over what isn't and will be a feeling thing...

We all love what we drive and will be enthusiastic in our recommendations based on our choices because we want others to share the joy. This may not make your decision any easier!

Of course, I am probably stating the obvious and you know all this anyway. Just my thoughts is all...

Do I want a roof or open top?

Roof = classic

TARGA OR Convertible

Yes = boxster

No = classic

I mark the score in the middle probably a 2.5.. I do worry about my safety but I also want a good driving experience! I'm halfway bw both of these optoins

Y=classic

N=boxster

Y because my younger brother is a mechanic. However, I'm also happy to have a regular P mechanic look after the car and go to my brother for those in between things we know need doing.

Y=classic

N=boxster

This is important to me, it shouldn't be I know. This will be the most expensive car I've bought to date. A car is not usually a investment :)

Y=S car

N=Non S car

NO it's not - I think you don't need performance to have a great driving experience

Y=newer model

N=doesn't matter

Yes this matters.. it rates a 4 out of 5 to me. I won't say a 5 because I think any car can let you down.

What concerns me most about the Boxster is the fact the engine, at large is not rebuildable. Given the engines cost what they do. Won't a 20 year old 986 be almost worthless and nearly impossible to sell?

No no, its not making the decision easy. I hate to admit it but I'm easily persuaded in either direction right now. I just need a few classic owners to say 'no no mine is great, reliable as' and then a Boxster owner to say 'oh no no don't go classic, they cost heaps.. my boxster has done a gazillion kilometres and all i've done is an oil change and some tyres' I'm impressionable!

No no mine (1985 911) is great, reliable as. :P

Used as a daily driver.

Guest Nick987

I think its great you have come to ask all the wise folks here and they are all really keen to assist. I love that! Ultimately its your money Ralph.

And of course emotions have, will and are going to play a big part of this. My little rubric was designed to take the emotion out to gauge what is really important and THEN see how you feel.

What everyone has said here will probably be the most important 'advice'...buy a 987 :D ...NO...wait :blink: ...go and test drive heaps more cars, then forget about it for a while, then see how you feel.

And the answer will be waiting for you grasshopper.

The bowel knows what the mind cannot see because the heart is burning...

Or some such...go watch a kung-foo movie :lol:

The targa is on and off and then on again in that clip!

When she toots the horn the steering wheel crest is upside down.

And Tom Cruize (Cruse? - whatever) copied this complete scene in one of the mission impossible flicks.

Lucky the chase wasn’t uphill as the Alfa Montreal would never have made it.

Look what I just found

porsche.jpg

Nick I'll come back and answer all your questions..

Agree with other statements too, whilst you can try and make a logical decision, the heart knows what it wants.. it is most definitely a emotional decision at the end of the day. Especially when you have no DD requirement.

Hi awit. Where did you find this mag? Is it current?

SteveF I also have that history of all P 's made (by model) book I picked up in China Town - email me your work address and I shall send it to you tomorrow so you have it for the weekend.

Keep forgetting to ask you.

Archived