What discount should I push ...?

Barry911

Pretty difficult to say on a second hand vehicle. There are many influencing factors that will go into the listing price. Condition, Age, Options, Colour, Desirability etc.

Buying new is a different story, but having never bought a new Porsche i can not comment on Porsche specifically.

I am however in the process of buying a new BMW and there are double digit %'s to be negotiated off the list price.

Either way, it is certainly a buyers market out there, and i would be haggling hard on any purchase.

Look it up on RedBook can start with Private trade in prices And feel the pain you would experiencing if you were trading it in.

I usually offer between here and the price you were offered. Not sure of the exact model you want however according to the link you are about 25k off the mark. Could be totally wrong.

Just noticed that depreciation ...... Wow.

http://www.redbook.com.au/cars/research/used/details?R=458953&Silo=Spec&Vertical=Car&Ridx=21&eapi=2

It will be interesting to see the effect the 991 will have on used 997 prices. Used vehicle sales are not that great at the moment. Throw them a number, they may like it!

Guest Nick987

I am partial to a stupid lowballer to set the range lower. They can only say no to an offer 20k under. And sometimes they will show you their absolute bottom price with this tactic.

I actually keep grinding away until they are prepared for me to walk away as a genuine buyer, and know that is their lowest possible price before going back and asking for them to throw in a tank of 98 ron and 'we have a deal'.

"Sorry I can't go below $150k..."

"Ok so you are saying if I pass you over a bag full of hundreds or a bank cheque for $146k, you will refuse and have me walk out the door?"

"Yes"

"Ok, see ya later."

Walk out the door. Then I have the lowest price. Go back later...if so desire.

Guest Nick987

And we all know about the best times to be going to have a sniff is at the end of the month and the end of the quarter and especially the end of the financial year?

They are at their keenest to make quota at these times.

Guest Nick987

Oh and we all know to specify the tyres for the roadworthy or discount in kind? Or they will put some sudanese brand of straps on to pass muster and will prol fall apart on the first SMT you go on...

Just take my wife with you. She is the ultimate negotiator.

She will wear them down and break them. We were in Thailand a couple of years ago and she walked away from a deal for the equivalent of 50 cents!!!!!

Theo that was very funny.

Just remember to show respect in the delivery of your offer as you negotiate as you will have to deal with these low ballers when selling yours.

When selling to buy this current car some prick offered me 5grand for my perfectly good , low km, late model Subaru Liberty. I was livid.

Theo that was very funny.

Just remember to show respect in the delivery of your offer as you negotiate as you will have to deal with these low ballers when selling yours.

When selling to buy this current car some prick offered me 5grand for my perfectly good , low km, late model Subaru Liberty. I was livid.

She really is a great lady!

It's such a drain selling a car. Almost like karma for all the times I've low balled someone else!

Guest Nick987

I just hate selling cars. Detest the whole experience. Strangers driving my car. Not turning up. Trying to give me be excuses instead of being straight with me.

In the past I have traded in so I didn't have to suffer and justified the hair cut as the cost of not having to sell the darn thing.

Not an option at times i know but...

Easy when I'm buying. If its new from a dealer, I call them all up within 100kms and tell em the same thing...

If you give me your best price his will be the easiest sale you make, I am calling every dealer and the best price on the day gets

my business.

Works every time.

As said above, check the redbook value. Then look at what similar cars are going for in the market.. work from there.

Selling cars is a nightmare. I just want to trade the GTI in. Have you seen how many are on CS? Ridiculous... even tho mine is a pretty good buy ie 40,000km, has extended warranty etc I just can't be bothered with it.

If you look after your car and realistic about the sale price it is well worth the effort to sell privately in my opinion. Especially in the current market, your giving the dealer your car plus paying them several thousands to sell it for you.......................

Even if you sell it for peanuts it will still be several thousands more than a dealer will give you. Rather deal with anyone calling me up than having to reason with a car salesman.

Archived