Muffler alignment on an SC

AC78

Team

I am in the process of installing a used Dansk muffler on my SC and the exhaust pipe doesn't align properly with the outlet on the rear valance.

Instead of the pipe coming out the centre of the outlet, it sits hard up against the inside edge.

The Dansk is attached to a set of SSIs and there is no further adjustments to be made to change the position of the muffler.

It looks like the exhaust pipe has been modded at some point so I need to bend it about 1cm to get it off the paint and towards the centre of the outlet.

Is this something I can safely do myself - say by heating up the pipe with a propane torch and bending it with a tight fitting axe handle, or is it best left to an exhaust shop?  

I tried heating, but in the end had to unfortunately admit defeat and took it to a shop. Purely because I did not have stainless wire for the mig - yes, they ended up cutting and re-welding the tip to the correct location

Good luck :) 

You most likely won't be able to keep enough heat in it to be able bend it successfully, unless you do it with an oxy acetylene torch.  Easier to take it to a muffler shop. They'll probably just cut it off and re-weld it. 

Archived