01 Boxster S

Noob

Hi All

Today I received parental approval from my wife that I can take a Boxster S for a test spin.... I was so happy I almost sold one of the children to finance it... :)

Having spent the last several weeks trawling the Aus online sites I have found a 2001 Boxster S with very low Ks (ie. approx 30k) on the clock for $39.9k

I am yet to inspect but hope to do so this coming week.

A couple of questions

- as I'm Sydney based, any recommendations for an outfit to conduct a PPI?

- Is it too good to be true - for it's age it's a relatively high-price yet balanced (in my mind) by the very low Ks - stuff like this always makes me nevous!

Hope I'm not breaching forum etiquette by diving straight in with questions but would appreciate thoughts of those with more experience.

cheers and thanks in advance

Tim

Welcome aboard Tim. We have a couple of Boxster owners who I am sure will be happy to shower advice upon you.

If that's not enough there are many more here with greater Boxster wisdom than myself.

You may want to speak to Hamilton's for a PPI. I can however give you some advice on the approval from the wife for a test drive.

What she is really saying is "Hurry up and buy a Porsche already!". She has opened the door. Time to step through it and lock it behind you.

Welcome Tim,

My 2¢ on the car you're looking at...

30,000km - so that's roughly < 3,000 km per year, which isn't much at all. I'd want to check whether the car has been in storage, and if so, where and how. I don't think it would be a bad thing to consider one that has a bit higher mileage for a similar price, which might put you at a slightly newer car with some updated features..

Look for any smoke on cold startup. A tiny bit is ok.

A heavy clutch is an old clutch. When the Boxster clutch is new, it's no heavier than a Golf/Corolla etc.

Look for any oil drips (ie discolouration on the metal) where the tranny meets the engine (just in front of the rear axle, in the middle). 996s and 986s sometimes weep oil from the rear main seal. A tiny bit is OK. A PPI should definitely pick this up, so don't worry too much if you can't see all the way under there.

Anyhow, feel free to ask me if you have any questions.

Cheers,

Sandy.

Hi Sandy, Toto

Thanks very much for the responses and advice. Much appreciated.

Given that it's a great day here in Sydney I'm trying to find an excuse to bunk off work and take it for a test run today. Might come down with a bought of Porschitis.

cheers

Tim

Welcome Noob, good advice from Sandy, Low K's are great as long as car has been maintained over that period.

Price is I think anything up to $10.000 too much (some may say even more) but, if it is a good one ........

Lots of cheapies around but if genuine K's etc may well be worth grabbing it.

I was chatting to a bloke yesterday who is trading his 2001 Boxster in on a new 981 Boxster, it has 80,000k's on the clock it is not an S they are giving him $20,000 trade in and it is a nice car. Yowch, but that what dealers do.

Is it a tiptronic or manual?

Does it have PSM or upgrades, that may also account for the pricing.

Is it a private sale or a dealer you are going through?

Good luck with it, be great to hear what you think after your drive and it is very hard to recover from Porschitis.

The other thing too (from all my research) is these cars seem to fare much better if they have been driven regularly and shown some revs! Be careful of possible IMS issues. If the car hasn't been driven much that IMS bearing can become dry, leading to catastrophic engine failure.

Google IMS bearing if you haven't heard of it. This shouldn't stop you buying the car, but just be well informed of all possibilities. You can upgrade the bearing to the LN Bearing, and that pretty much fixes it for good. This can be used as a negotiating tactic. As Niko said, almost $40k is alot of money for this car. And with these cars, I'm not sure such low km is always a good thing.

Maybe some other more experienced members might add more information to what I've said here.. but as I said, as a girl thats cautiously looking for a Porsche.. I've spent equivalent of hours researching Porsches.

Toto, I definitely need glasses!

To All,

I think it's been a moot point - looks like it sold as I can no longer find the ad...the search continues... so, different question :

04 Boxster 2.7l, 66000ks, approx $39.9k with a few extras -19"allows, aircon, remote keyless, cruise control, dvd, GPS, leater seats

OR

04 Boxster S, 73000ks, approx $44.9k plus Sport Seats, GPS Navigation, Park Assist, Hi-Fi Upgrade, Aluminium Gear Lever & Hand Brake.

Everything I have read on this forum (thank you btw to whoever it was in here that provided the link to Michael Focke's US website on the Boxster - great reading) suggest the S is the way to go.

Really curious as to peoples' thoughs.

Cheers

Tim

Yep, totally agree Awit - booked test drives for both early next week... along with a 911 Carerra 1999 :D

Cheers

Tim

Good work! This is the fun part of the buying experience. Keep us in the loop. I'm very interested to see how you go given I'm in the market for a P as well

Hey Awit

Will definitely let you know how it all goes. Missus is more keen on the 911 (which frankly if I had an unlimited budget would be choice, having had the luxury of being loaned one to drive back in the mid-90s for 3 months by a mate who was overseas).

Cheers

Tim

Hey Awit

Will definitely let you know how it all goes. Missus is more keen on the 911 (which frankly if I had an unlimited budget would be choice, having had the luxury of being loaned one to drive back in the mid-90s for 3 months by a mate who was overseas).

Cheers

Tim

Tim. Important question. Do have kids that are small enough to sit in the back?

Hey Toto

Kids are 6 & 8 - not intending to let the little messmakers anywhere near it unless I REALLLLLY have to as I'm adverse to picking biscuit crumbs out of interiors.

However it may become a deal breaker on the domestic front. From a practical perspective I figure it's really a 2-seater with a little bit of extra seat storage in the cabin rather than a 4-seater.

From a purely selfish perspective, I simply want a 2-seater but I know they'll be a time when the DD car is not around and I'll have to squeeze 3-people into 2 seats.

I'll see how the drives go next week.

Cheers

Tim

I have a 10 year old who regularly sits.in the back of the 993. I know that Choppergrino has a couple of kids who regularliy sit in the back of his 996. Having the seat in the back gives us even more opportunity to take them out. The cars that is!

It's going to be a LONG while before I drop ''purple" into the same sentence with "911" and "over budget" to my German wife. To her, Porsches are either black or red. Fertig.

My plan is as follows :

a) get in principle approval for Porsche buy (done)

B) introduce concept of price and quality versus cheap and repairs (in progress)

c) introduce Boxster by way of "here, let's go for a pootle around in this whilst the kids are in school" (planned)

d) pray for both rain and sunshine to demonstrate efficiacy of home country's engineering prowess 'mit qualitÄt" (variable with 50/50 success chance)

e) prepay part of purchase price to seller and then claim my amazing negotiation skills knocked xx% of the asking price (planned but iffy)

f) block access so she can never read any post in this forum (done already!)

Hi Tim, sounds like a well laid out plan. Sounds like you have been successful with the most difficult part of your plan..the approval!. Good luck and we look forward to hearing about your new purchase in the near future. Steve

I'm with Nick, introduced my wife to a P before buying and by the time I bought ne she was almost as happy as me which made it even more rewarding knowing I had buy in.

Take her for a look and let her have a sit in one,that will be more than enough to convert her too.

Keep us posted and look forward to seeing it soon.

Archived