SC Suspension Suggestions

Smussato

Hey everyone! I'm having a little problem with my suspension. Right now, the suspension just feels off. It feels really tight like it has no give. The drivers side front shock stays down after its hit a bump and won't come up till I lift the car up by the body myself. I'm not sure what I have on the car either, it's hard to see past the overspray on them, but I believe they are bilsteins sport (front / green - rear / yellow).

This is not a track car, ideally I want it to be comfortable. 

My questions for you guys are:

1. What do I have?
  2. What should/can I do with what I have (replace with x, rebuild at x)?

Thanks in advance!

SWzTcBnl.jpg

6x7Gg7nl.jpg

I've used Elephant Racing's suspension builder (https://www.elephantracing.com/911-suspension-builder/) to list some of the items I think you'd need as it's the easiest way to get a list together ... is based on the state of the spindles and that it's been driven till the shocks collapsed. Items are for a stock refresh. You may well get parts here in Australia or from usual suspects overseas cheaper if you mix and match, the front struts and decent torsion bars (if needed) second hand here. Yes, looks like Bilsteins.

Those prices are US, plus freight and don't include labour if you don't do it yourself. Serious dollars however you do it.

I'm assuming that:

a) as car has aluminium banana arms it's post 73.

b) the hardening on the spindles is gone , ie that's not surface rust. not therefore sure the struts can be saved/redone, others will chime in. big savings if ok.

c) has front and rear sway bars but that's not clear. but the bushes are cheap in the scheme of this.

d) torsion bars are past their best, and while you're there ..... savings to be had if yours ok.

e) includes turbo tie rods only because I can't remember when they started or what year your car is.

In addition to all of this, given the condition, you'd want to check/replace/regrease/refurbish the following while you're there:

a) clean and repack/replace driveshafts.

b) all brake rotors, calipers, pads, lines and master cylinder, a given.

c) wheel bearings, a given.

d) misc. nuts, split pins etc.

It will feel like a new car, good luck.

Regards Julian

Porsche 911 Suspension Builder

Take the guess-work out of building your Porsche 911, 912, or 930 suspension.

Select Year and Model

car-series_1.png
Select The Year1965196619671968196919701971197219731974197519761977197819791980198119821983198419851986198719881989
Select The Model911911S911 Turbo (930)
Restoration Packages (3)
Performance Packages (6)
Coilover Packages (5)

Select A Package

Restoration
Optimized for Street Tires / Street Driving
Sport Restoration 1
Optimized for Street Tires / Street Driving
Sport Restoration 2
Optimized for Street Tires / Street & Track
hoverToBuild_002.png

Thanks Julian, I’m acting under the assumption that the supporting gear is all fine. Just the strut/shocks need replacing as the seizing has been very recent. Or do the photos tell you otherwise?

Others may chime in but to me, if the car has been driven to the point that your spindles look like that, a shock has collapsed, and the tie rod and rear bushings look worn in the pics, unless you know for an absolute fact that the brake components have been regularly and recently inspected/serviced get them checked and refurb/replace as required. Some of the other stuff I've listed may very well be able to be put off, but maybe cheaper to do given parts are already being disassembled etc. Find a mechanic you trust to guide you. Those wheels can't have been off for a veeeeeery long time to me ....... i'm not having a crack but personally wouldn't drive it until I knew otherwise about the brakes .... be kind to the car and safe for yourself and others.

2 hours ago, Smussato said:

Thank you for the detailed reply! The car is a 1981 Targa SC. 

I have an '81 targa and just ordered the restoration kit from elephant racing.  I'm also installing a wevo shift upgrade, nine auto is doing the work for me and i'll keep you posted on how it all goes!

I toyed with the idea of doing some of the sportier upgrades from elephant racing but decided to keep things relatively stock, also the costs add up quite quickly as well which was a factor.

Some good guidance here...

Struts are Bilstein - you can see the roll pin at the bottom.  May or may not be salvageable.  Unless I knew its service history, I wouldn't muck around - replace the lot as per Julian's post.

You might want to check with James at Autohaus Hamilton - at least as a price cross check.

Good luck - you'll be blown away by the difference when it's all done.

Thanks for the replies everyone! The feedback has been very helpful.

In response to one assumption:

b) the hardening on the spindles is gone , ie that's not surface rust. not therefore sure the struts can be saved/redone, others will chime in. big savings if ok.

• The brown stuff all over it is grease from the bearing.

Should I still replace the entire strut?

25 minutes ago, Smussato said:

Should I still replace the entire strut?

If it's grease, then no, just the insert.

Depending on what you are going to replace - both Stan at Performance9 and James at AutoHause are your go to people

Archived