987 engine issue from mechanic report

DAZ

Hi, had red book and car sales organise a pre purchase inspection of a 987, all came back ok except for one thing. Abnormal engine noise on cold start up, any thoughts or ideas what this could be or what questions I now should ask etc. (update IMS bearing hasn’t been replaced).

D6E98645-A29B-436E-8F14-459022201DBF.jpeg

3864D8AD-0876-4AF9-B5A4-12884F6633FF.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Troubleshooter said:

Report also reads "no service history present at the time"... does that mean the car has no stamped service books?

I once got caught out with this - full set of history was in the glove box....ppi place didn't bother to look.

10 hours ago, DAZ said:

Thanks, don’t have a favourite Porsche mechanic lol, is it an easy fix, or a early symptom of larger potential problems!?

Sorry, I don't know enough about Boxsters to give any useful advice but I would think you have a great price bargaining tool with that PPI.

If you intend to replace the IMS bearing, you'd probably do the tensioner(s) and drop the engine out at the same time.

Since the car is in the Hunter Valley, suggest you call my favourite Porsche mechanic, Simon at Autowerks in Wyong for advice.

Otherwise keep looking as there appears plenty of choice and maybe even something closer to home!

Good luck.

Archived