Clearing Air-bag Light

Smokey

Boxster 987 Data scan shows air-bag faults.  Have replaced the offending air-bag but cannot clear the dash warning light.  Is there something else between the sensors and the air-bags that I need to look at?

36 minutes ago, Coastr said:

Sounds like either the fault was not the bag or the replacement bag has the same problem?   How specific is the code?

The original bag had deployed probably because the sensor wire was severed by a torn mudguard in a 'soft' accident. The replacement bag has not deployed, it is from another car being wrecked.

The codes are:  803C - Drivers thorax bag  (below lower limit)  This is the bag that had fired off.

And,  800B - Drivers Head bag (steering wheel) (above upper limit) which has not fired off!

Thorax (Porsche term) bag is at right shoulder, in seat back, to provide head side trauma.

My dilemma is to explain how the Drivers head bag has shown a fault - nothing has happened to it!

And the one that did fire off has been replaced.

20 minutes ago, ANF said:

Control module issue?

ANF that's an interesting question!    What is a 'control module' and and where is it?   What's it look like?  How do I get at it?

And I meant to PREVENT, not  --  ( to provide head side trauma. )

I do not know where about it will be, most likely either under dash or in frunk? I know that in some cars the module is programmed to the car/ airbag (Mercedes, maybe Porsche as well?) and you have difficulty replacing them without the right software? But you may get lucky as well?
The airbag module failed in my 97 Mercedes, the system would not recognise a used module...

It will look like this, controls the airbag.

thIH5QO3NQ.jpg

7 minutes ago, Smokey said:

So the sensors up front, in the nose of the mudguard, send a message to that module? 

Can that module be re-set?

Mixing used parts in the airbag system can be tricky, I have heard a lot of the time they just don't work (and my own experience). If you want the airbag to work, someone who knows the systems needs to look at it, my 2c worth.

17 hours ago, Coastr said:

Found a thread with similar discussion : https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-gt3-forum/915835-driver-thorax-airbag-fault-unable-to-clear.html

I wouldn't blame the control box if it was working before the deployment.  That thread details some type of reset procedure.

Thanks Coastr, I have found that thread but still no detailed info about clearing the codes.

14 hours ago, WB997.2GTS said:

Smokey if you forward your email address by PM I'll send you the Porsche Nth America air bag / sensor test procedure,,, the air bag control module is located under the PCM / A/C controls.

Warren

Thanks WB.  Please try:  mailformil@gmail.com

WB  you say  --  " the air bag control module is located under the PCM / A/C controls" -- so I will go looking!  

On 26/03/2019 at 19:53, WB997.2GTS said:

Smokey if you forward your email address by PM I'll send you the Porsche Nth America air bag / sensor test procedure,,, the air bag control module is located under the PCM / A/C controls.

Warren

WB  Can you please call me:  0409 02 77 84  Smokey

• 10 months later...

That last post was in March.  Here is an up-date. 

Acting on Warrens advice I found a "Reset" man in Hobart!  Not the one he recommended in USA.

Pulled the module, buried deep under the dash and radio, sent the 'air-bag-control-module' to

Race Evo, 20 Augusta Road, New Town. Tasmania, 7008  Phone Paul @  03 6228 1633  ( www.raceevo.com.au )  and, after a few false starts, Paul worked his magic!  Highly recommended! And cheaper than USA.

All the fault lights are now cleared!  And the car is ready to roll.

Smokey.

• 2 weeks later...