braided or rubber brake hoses?

944s2cab

Only from bike my racing experience, Goodridge braided lines made a great difference for me.

Not sure for cars, but I'm sure they would make a difference to initial bite and pedal feel. Check your state regs, yet I think they're either illegal or require an engineers report for rego/insurance purposes...or just fit them and not tell anyone 😁

5 hours ago, LeeM said:

Only from bike my racing experience, Goodridge braided lines made a great difference for me.

Not sure for cars, but I'm sure they would make a difference to initial bite and pedal feel. Check your state regs, yet I think they're either illegal or require an engineers report for rego/insurance purposes...or just fit them and not tell anyone 😁

I've checked and Goodridge line are ADR compliant, so I think I'll order a set

1 hour ago, 944s2cab said:

Cool mate. From what I've learnt with bikes and braided lines, a lot of brands fail the 'whip test' where some stretch and some don't, the same as carbon ones. I think Goodridge were the pioneers with having some sort of coating or protection on them to reduce the stretching of the lines, and they've always had a good name. Strange when you think standard rubber brake lines deteriorate much quicker than braided does

I wonder what difference you would get in just replacing old rubber lines with new rubber lines, has to be worth thinking about?

Also as a rubber line gets older you can see it deteriorating, you cannot see this with a braided line, this would be my only concern....

4 hours ago, 944s2cab said:

I bought a set of these for my SC.  No complaints.  From memory, the hoses have a tag with ADR approval if sourced from a local authorised distributor.    Goodridge hoses have protective outer casing over the braiding which I believe is an ADR criteria.  One issue that vehicle inspectors may have is being able to visually inspect for damaged hoses. Clear casing protects and allows inspection of the braiding.  Having properly tagged compliant hoses would help.

On 29/04/2019 at 19:16, Jason E said:

I've had no complaints & have had cause to jam the anchors on a few times with nil impacts so good in my books.

SC's typically have a softer pedal thanks to the booster.  I replaced the lines as the brakes were very spongy due to soft 30 year old hoses.  The braided hoses had an immediate effect and greatly improved the pedal feel.  I can modulate the brakes from a light touch to full hard braking without losing control.  The limit is easily reached and lock ups are rare, even in the wet.