Importing Airbags

Hi guys,

I want to update my triangle 987 steering wheel to the more contemporary, thicker steering wheel from a later model Porsche. However none of the local wreckers seem to have the "round style" airbag that is required to upgrade to a modern steering wheel - very few airbags but lots of steering wheels for obvious reasons!

However, there is a plethora of airbags available on eBay from overseas.

Has anyone had experience importing airbags from overseas? My concern is that they can be perceived as a "dangerous goods" due to the explosive material, and will either won't get sent via air or even raise a flag with customs and potentially losing my money. A customs broker mate of mine was convinced that it wouldn't be cost effective due to additional dangerous goods charges and paperwork (if it fell under the dangerous goods umbrella)

I would appreciate any personal past experiences or advice on who to ask for clarification!

41 minutes ago, Goon said:

Hi guys,

I want to update my triangle 987 steering wheel to the more contemporary, thicker steering wheel from a later model Porsche. However none of the local wreckers seem to have the "round style" airbag that is required to upgrade to a modern steering wheel - very few airbags but lots of steering wheels for obvious reasons!

However, there is a plethora of airbags available on eBay from overseas.

Has anyone had experience importing airbags from overseas? My concern is that they can be perceived as a "dangerous goods" due to the explosive material, and will either won't get sent via air or even raise a flag with customs and potentially losing my money. A customs broker mate of mine was convinced that it wouldn't be cost effective due to additional dangerous goods charges and paperwork (if it fell under the dangerous goods umbrella)

I would appreciate any personal past experiences or advice on who to ask for clarification!

PM sent with a suggested contact

Just a thought Goon, have you checked that the wheel spline is the same on the later wheels as the 997 / 987?

When I was considering options for my 996 I was advised the spline was different between 996 & 997, possibly it is also different between 997 and 981?  

Someone will know...........

Good thought. While it's a somewhat common upgrade, it always pays to check some of those finer details. Research seems to suggest that most of the wheels will cross populate across the range, even some of the early Macan steering wheels are compatible.

5 hours ago, Goon said:

Good thought. While it's a somewhat common upgrade, it always pays to check some of those finer details. Research seems to suggest that most of the wheels will cross populate across the range, even some of the early Macan steering wheels are compatible.

While it’s possible that different wheels will physically fit across various models, bear in mind that airbags are all tuned to behave in a specific way for the car they are designed for. Inflation rate is critical to the effectiveness of the device in an impact.  Airbags are developed in concert with the chassis, occupant size and position, seat belts, other airbags and also the control system within the car. 

Airbags are an explosive device (imagine a shotgun aimed at your chest and you’ll get the idea of the forces involved) and not something to be treated lightly.  

They are not really a plug and play item. Age of the initiator is also important-old airbags may not work as designed. The consequences can be deadly.  

Please be careful.  

Ideally I want the round style sports steering wheel that was available as an option for the 987. Bit thin on the ground though. Might have to kick over a few rocks with some of the guys who set up Porsches for rallying as someone suggested!