964 radio replace and aerial blanking

Pilko

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/06/2019 at 22:41, Pilko said:

I'm looking at this radio

http://www.soundlabsgroup.com.au/p/Continental-Digital-Car-Radio-TRD7412-UB-OR/Continental+Digital+Car+Radio+TRD7412+UB+OR

which comes with an internal glass mounted aerial for the DAB radio. I'd like to delete my wing mounted aerial. Are blanking rubbers available?

Pilko I’m looking at the same unit as an upgrade to the current aftermarket. Any feedback on the unit or installation?

Not installed yet. I decided to keep the wing mount, and it’s awesome 90’s dash mounted switch to extend the aerial, as it’s still required for the regular radio.

I actually bought this car as a donor car, but it’s really too good for that. If I can find another (worse) car soon to use as a donor I’ll keep this car as a daily driver and install the radio. If I can’t find an alternative donor then the radio will be up for sale.

1 hour ago, Pilko said:

Not installed yet. I decided to keep the wing mount, and it’s awesome 90’s dash mounted switch to extend the aerial, as it’s still required for the regular radio.

I actually bought this car as a donor car, but it’s really too good for that. If I can find another (worse) car soon to use as a donor I’ll keep this car as a daily driver and install the radio. If I can’t find an alternative donor then the radio will be up for sale.

I’m going to order mine early next month so let me know if ur selling. I was thinking the standard over dab as it’s more the Bluetooth feature I need for pairing a phone rather than radio (I just listen to the flat 6 tunes 😉).

do you know when reading up if it transmits google maps voice over the bluetooth pairing?

22 minutes ago, Tips said:

I’m going to order mine early next month so let me know if ur selling. I was thinking the standard over dab as it’s more the Bluetooth feature I need for pairing a phone rather than radio (I just listen to the flat 6 tunes 😉).

do you know when reading up if it transmits google maps voice over the bluetooth pairing?

Hi mate, I installed one of these in our old 964 C2 a couple of years ago. Very happy with it. And I can show you how to delete the chrome ring too! A couple of images here:

I have one in my 964 C4. I paid 137 euros inc shipping from europe for version without DAB. Works very well. I deleted the fender antenna and now am using the windscreen antenna. Works very well. My installer didn't realise there is an antenna booster which needs power (wire wrapped around antenna cable). I was able to connect this myself after a bit of head scratching why I had such poor reception.

I went full antenna delete.  Weld and re-spray.

Thanks gents appreciated the feedback.

I will keep the hirschmann And hopefully keep it wired up to operate when the radio is turned on/off as it does today. If I ever paint the car will then do an arial delete

• 1 year later...
On 15/07/2019 at 20:54, itsujack said:

Hi mate, I installed one of these in our old 964 C2 a couple of years ago. Very happy with it. And I can show you how to delete the chrome ring too! A couple of images here:

Could you give me some tips for deleting the chrome ring?

39 minutes ago, Pilko said:

Could you give me some tips for deleting the chrome ring?

From memory, just pull the knob off, then disassemble the knob components by unscrewing from the inside, this will allow you to paint the chrome ring on its own. Then just reassemble and you’re good to go.

15 hours ago, itsujack said:

From memory, just pull the knob off, then disassemble the knob components by unscrewing from the inside, this will allow you to paint the chrome ring on its own. Then just reassemble and you’re good to go.

Thanks, will give it a shot.