Buying A Boxster

Whitey

I am looking for my first Porsche and have found a 2004 boxster 2.7 manual with 116000 km on it. The current owner has had it for about 3 years and has only done about 7000 km in it in that time. He has done about 5000 km in the last 2 years. As he works away, he has only driven it once every 3-4 weeks but I'm sure it is 'spirited' when he does use it. It is in very good condition and has just had the rotors and sensors replaced. Has good service history but has not had IMS bearing or Oil/Air separator replaced as far as he knows .I read on a forum that little or no use is not good for Boxsters and was wanting some feedback on whether the has had 'too little use' in the last 3 years although it is driven in the proper manner every 3-4 weeks.

Also, does anybody have any information on a Silver 2000 986S for sale in South Sydney?

13 minutes ago, Whitey said:

I am looking for my first Porsche and have found a 2004 boxster 2.7 manual with 116000 km on it. The current owner has had it for about 3 years and has only done about 7000 km in it in that time. He has done about 5000 km in the last 2 years. As he works away, he has only driven it once every 3-4 weeks but I'm sure it is 'spirited' when he does use it. It is in very good condition and has just had the rotors and sensors replaced. Has good service history but has not had IMS bearing or Oil/Air separator replaced as far as he knows .I read on a forum that little or no use is not good for Boxsters and was wanting some feedback on whether the has had 'too little use' in the last 3 years although it is driven in the proper manner every 3-4 weeks.

Also, does anybody have any information on a Silver 2000 986S for sale in South Sydney?

Be kind to Whitey guys, he's a good mate of mine from MG days way back 🙂  He would appreciate any help and info you can give.

2 hours ago, Whitey said:

.I read on a forum that little or no use is not good for Boxsters”

Where do these old wives tales originate, some of the stuff that’s written is absolute rubbish. Whitey,  I have a 2006 Boxster S with 50,000k on the clock and to me it’s just another car with low K’s. Why would low K’s be detrimental. 
Warren

I'd suggest that most hobby cars will only get out every 2 or 3 weeks and I don't think that's a problem.  If the car is straight and has a good service record (sounds good from what you have said) then you have ticked every box you can.  You are buying the po as well as the car - how does it feel when you are talking with him?  After that it can be a little bit of 'roll the dice'.  The car is 15 years old.  Some things will have wear on them and you may or may not have catastrophic failure of engine at some point (the odds are very much in your favour - it's not likely but is still possible).  If the price is right and it is fun to drive there's not much else to do other than take the plunge and hope for the best!  116000kms is  reasonably low so that's in your favour in terms of wear on components.  I sold a boxster with that neighbourhood of kms and would happily have been the buyer rather than the seller so they can certainly still perform well at that point.

Hey Whitey -  the interwebs are full of scary tails.  Listen to the people that know I reckon,  the people who work on them. 

Have you had a look at the car and do you like it?  If so, I reckon get a PPI (Pre Purchase Inspection)  and see how it comes out after being scrutinized by a P car expert. 

That will tell you how good the car is, how much $ you need to spend on it to make it good and give you a starting point to make an offer to buy it.

• 3 weeks later...