Yet another Porsche lurker

Seems like everyone wo arrives here is in the same boat.

I have ~12 month plan to get into 911 ownership. I've been lurking on forums for about 6 months now, and reading plenty. I've got my choice down to 1984-1988 Carrera. Ideal would be an 87 wide body, but i think that is probably not likely. No targas, convertibles or autos. Plan is to get a car which is as tidy and original as possible, which is more important than age. Usage will be weekends and perhaps an occasional track day, and family days out. Current budget is up to 40k, with the expectation of getting at least 5 years out of it before major work.

I currently run a pair of bmws, one sedan, one wagon. The Porsche would be a 3rd car with maybe letting one BMW go if it all worked out (but that would be a most painful operation). I only do about 6000km a year as it is.

Anyway that's my story and we will see how it works out, whether I abandon it or actually go through with it. Happy to hear advice or tips on cars for sale.

So far my main concern is the wild differences in pricing for the Carrera models. I get that different quality attracts different pricing, but are mid 80s Carreras with nearly 200k really changing hands for 50+k? Seems like a lot to me. I do spend a bit of time overseas, and when I see a 996 turbo changing hands for about $40k, it does hurt a lot.

Welcome to the forum and potential Porsche ownership. It sounds like you've been doing your homework and have a plan in mind, That's a good start. Got to be weary of looking at overseas prices though, lots of torment down that route,

Hey Coastr,

Welcome to the forum.............

Yes it is ture, the older cars have become quite desirable and good examples are becoming harder to find - hence the increasing values. Keep on the hunt, you may find your 40k getting a squeeze to find the perfect one!

Cheers, Hugh.

I guess 'perfect' is a tough term to define - perfect for needs I guess. I don't mind paying market price, but I am having a tough time working out what market price actually is - I do know enough that asking price is not the same thing as selling price.

I fear it is like houses - the well priced, good ones never hit the market and the overpriced dross hangs around endlessly.

I still am committed to the bmws, but it's either an M or a Porsche, and the Ms aren't special enough for me,as much as I would have one as a daily driver. Boiled down, they are still just a 3 or 5 series hotrod, awesome, but not a sports car platform. There will always be room in my fantasy garage for an E30 M3, but finding a non-converted, non-raced version is a whole level above finding a clean Carrera suitable for tinkering and driving. I guess at least there is no conflict between imports vs aust delivery though!

I also look these early 996 from time to time, and think 'how bad could they possibly be?'. But perhaps thats a conversation for another thread.

Yes I spent a bit of time reading the 996 engine failure threads on piston heads.

To me it's not the money - you buy one getting it cheaper because of the known issues, and you budget for worst case scenario, and you're likely to come out ahead.

It's more the nagging unreliability question in your head. I spent many years driving cars with a question mark over them, it gnaws away at your mood while driving. Every car can go pop at any point, and in some ways it's better not to know about these things, because on balance it's probably not going to happen to you, so there isn't any point worrying. You shouldn't be driving a Porsche if a $10k bill is going to bankrupt you, that goes for any performance car out of warranty.

I had some immobilized issues with the BMW a few years back. On random days, it would not start for love nor money. 'computer says no' is the applicable term. Everyone scratched their head, clueless mechanics would try and jump start despite the battery being in rude health. In the end I stopped driving the car unless it was a round trip with no stops because you musts never knew when it would decide to die.

Even after the immobilizer was tracked down as the culprit it still wasn't right, and would still occasionally throw a fit. Eventually I worked out that with my home software I could effectively reboot the thing and get it going again, it's not much fun having to carry a laptop around in the boot and set up an impromptu service centre to get your car going again. I remember having the laptop out,balanced on the engine cover and running diagnostics next to the main entrance of a busy service station. That stuff is only fun when you are 18.

I sorted it out when I finally found a tech who knew what he was talking about (In built tamper detection routines caused by installing and booting up in the wrong order) and it hasn't missed a beat since. I can even start it without the stress of 'will it go'

So yes, I woildn't willingly buy my way into that type of stress again. There will come a time when a 996 has known fixes for the ims, and for the cooling issues, fixes that have been proven. And then values might recover if your has had the fix ( like ceramic bearing).

Right now I think I will stay away, but you never know. Buying a Porsche is never a process covered in rationality, after all.

Welcome. Yep, I have two bimmers and one is now on carsales. I am over wondering and am committed. The issues are the same for all us newbies and that is; what exact model do I want? What is the 'real' end budget? What do I look out for? And will I like it long term??? ( also the real fear that we will get ripped off)

I first drove a Porsche (Carrera SC I think) in California in Topanga Canyon on the best roads I have seen. This started the obsession in 1996. It took a while as I started a business and never could afford one. I then started subscribing to total911 over three years ago now and the knowledge phase began.

I still don't have a garage (another stalling excuse) and also have a young daughter. But I simply don't care anymore, I am determined to buy one, and if in the end it doesn't suit me, I can always sell it and have the photos and the memories. I truly believe though that once I start, I will never stop. So I need to start.

Good luck with the hunt, and remember, you'll never lie on your death bed and wish you didn't own a Porsche at some point. ;)

Oh yeah, also I spent a lot of time in California and lived there. It has taken me a long time and a lot of therapy to get over the absolute fleecing this country imposes on us for cars. It makes me sick and un patriotic. But like others have said, you simply can't look and compare anymore. I looked to import a uk one like everyone does and yeah it can be done, but like I said if you ever need to re sell it it will hurt you.

Ha jd I spent some time in LA myself, I know topanga canyon quite well, though I prefer a combination of Malibu canyon and mullholland drive. I used to rock it in my camaro which was a lead tipped arrow but scandalously cheap and powerful. Imagine being able to buy a 5 year old Monaro here and get plenty of change from 10k. Before I bought that I had papers signed on a red E30 M3 but it all fell through, can't remember the reason now, might have been insurance. I let the camaro go too cheap, I should have just put it on a boat and worried about the conversion down the track. Ce lest vie and all that.

California really is the Mecca for cars, but let's not beat ourselves up too much! I could move back tomorrow if I wanted, but you do have to take some bad with the awesome cars, awesome weather and awesome places to go and drive.

And as for the uk, well, that's where my bm came from. But that's a story for another day. I met a guy at a Porsche club qld day who had a TT 993 - he owned one OS but sold it when coming back to oz, and then bought one here. Now that is a losing trade :(

Archived