What to watch out for

TUF911

Hi All,

I am planning on purchasing an SC (simply because of price & shape) I would like to target the 81.

My questions are:

-what should I be watching out for e.g. rust in particular places, certain suspension parts that will need to be replaced that will end up casting me a lot?

-Does anyone else have a preferred year in the SC range (probably targeting the 79-84ish again due to price) & just a quick explanation why??

Thanks in advance

Regards

TUF911

Hi All,

I am planning on purchasing an SC (simply because of price & shape) I would like to target the 81.

My questions are:

-what should I be watching out for e.g. rust in particular places, certain suspension parts that will need to be replaced that will end up casting me a lot?

-Does anyone else have a preferred year in the SC range (probably targeting the 79-84ish again due to price) & just a quick explanation why??

Thanks in advance

Regards

TUF911

Hi TUF911,

I have a 1981SC, rust should not be a big problem as they have a gal body, but what ever you do get a pre purchase check by some one like (if you are in Victoria)George Cairns or some one that repairs these 911 models, there are a few around.

Regs, PC5953

No problem Daniel,

George Cairns is in Furntree Gully and there is Weissach Motor sport in Coburg the guy there is Chris, give them a call they may know I some one looking to sell a mid 911, hope you can get one and come along to any club run.

Regs, Peter. PC5953

Hi

Regarding rust,if the car has not been accident damaged, rust should not be a problem. However two places to check are the guard inners at the seam near where the bonnet hinges attach, and around the battery box area. If you intend or do buy an SC, I suggest you lash out 70 bucks or so and buy the book "Porsche 911 SC, The Essential Companion" by Adrian Streather. It has a chapter on purchase and a wealth of advice on all topics in its 400 pages.

Just for info, I looked at a very good $50k 964 recenly and was offered the princely sum of $10k as a trade in for my reasonable SC. The dealer just walked around the car, didn't even start or drive it. No deal. So purchase prices are very subjective.

If you get an SC you will find that they are a great fun car. And thay are cheap to maintain unless something major occurs.

Cheers

Ken

• 5 years later...

Watch the back window and the panel across the top of the engine bay also the sunroof area if ducts have been blocked , but generally they are good in my experience

happy hunting 

Note that George Cairns is not in Ferntree Gully and is currently retired...his son Shaun is the person to get in contact with at Cairns Classic Modern Porsche services in Hallam...they know Porsches inside out and you won't be disappointed with using them for a PPI..

Watch the back window and the panel across the top of the engine bay also the sunroof area if ducts have been blocked , but generally they are good in my experience

happy hunting

Note that George Cairns is not in Ferntree Gully and is currently retired...his son Shaun is the person to get in contact with at Cairns Classic Modern Porsche services in Hallam...they know Porsches inside out and you won't be disappointed with using them for a PPI..

I'm not sure if you guys noticed .... but the last posts before yours was in February 2010 ....

10 points for wanting to help though ......

I would rather a mid year 911 as opposed to a new car

because of reliability , newer cars just don't have good reliability as good as the aircooled porshces.

In our (large family) there has been about 25 to 30 cars between all the kids including 2 new cars

Out of all of them 3 of them have been Aircooled Porsches

Out of all of them the only cars that have been trusted to run and start and arrive reliably in hail rain orshine have been the Porsches

Only maintenance given to them were oil changes, plug changes and greasing of some parts.

So if you buy one with nice paint and interior it is just like buying a new car

Only cheaper to run, more fun and an everlasting look :)

They literally are Bullet proof, which Jeremy Clarkson proved when trying to destroy one from dropping a piano on it, to shooting it with a shotgun, an driving into a brick wall of a farmhouse.

The Wall was destroyed, the Porsche kept on driving ,much to Clarksons dismay.

My Two cents

LB

Seriously in all the cars on the market there are no better bar none :)

Archived