Question re: tiptronic transmission on 997.1's

911virgin

You can either drive the car through the gears in manual mode (on the steering wheel) or in auto by moving the gear stick to auto position,I’m pretty sure if you hit the buttons on the wheel in auto it will still change gear

1 hour ago, MARTY said:

You can either drive the car through the gears in manual mode (on the steering wheel) or in auto by moving the gear stick to auto position,I’m pretty sure if you hit the buttons on the wheel in auto it will still change gear

Yep, if in auto, activating the wheel switches will engage manual mode for 8 seconds (at least for a 996, not sure about a 997 though).  After this period car resumes automatic mode

15 hours ago, MARTY said:

ok, but in auto mode, do the gears change on their own without the driver flicking the steering wheel controls?

1 hour ago, 911virgin said:

yes, marty

looking at getting an autotip :)

I found I usually drove my 996.2 C2 in auto, but used the wheel buttons to change down a couple of gears as I slowed for a corner or roundabout - usually slows car enough not to have to use the brakes, and you get to hear the exhaust burble 🙂   Also may use to change down for overtaking, although box will usually change down quick enough if you put the boot in hard enough.  Then normal auto operation resumes.

I also drive my wife's PDK 981 the same way, although paddles are nicer to use than buttons or rocker switches and PDK is super quick compared to the Tip....

10 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

although paddles are nicer to use than buttons or rocker switches and PDK is super quick compared to the Tip....

Easy fix for those rocker switches. Some small mods and a set of Mercedes paddles seems to be a good mod