Tyre Pressures?

Digital Mouth

So you've fiddled with the tyre pressures front and rear. the under steer has been dialed out, have just enough over steer slip on full throttle mode, and the comfort is bearable. Good.

Now go and tweak a roll bar setting(either end will do) and start all over again.

Then the first really hot day/track temp comes along and nothing works!!!!

Higher tyre pressures assist in stopping the tyre rolling off the rim when cornering. Also stops flexing in the side wall,

Lower pressure and first serious corner and your tyre s will be rolling off the rim.

Tyres will certainly go up a couple of extra pounds once hot, but your pressures that you are running are always set when cold for uniformity.

Slicks or racing rubber may be different, but radials need to be higher tyre pressures is my understanding.

+1

I've been advised to add 5psi to street spec. radials for track use. R specs are different. Start about 3-5 psi lower than target hot pressures and check/adjust immediately after a run while they are still hot. Seek advice from your tyre fitter and/or others who are more experienced track drivers for your particular set up.

• 4 weeks later...

Well according to the Porsche center at Willoughby the correct tire pressure is...

Boxster and Cayman - up to model year 2008 (summer and winter tyres)

17 and 18-inch wheels, front

2.0 bar (29 psi)

17 and 18-inch wheels, rear

2.5 bar (36 psi)

19-inch wheels, front

2.2 bar (32 psi)

19-inch rear wheels

2.5 bar (36 psi)

And from the Porsche Center in South Sydney it's...

32psi Front

34psi Rear

Thanks for the research D M!

This thread had me wondering too. My Boxster has 17" wheels. I checked the pressures and it was set at 32 psi front and back. I did a lot of high speed cornering on the Autohaus drive with those pressures. I liked it! In the last 2 weeks, I've adjusted the pressure to what Porsche recommends: 29 psi front and 36 psi rear. I don't like it! For the first time, I've felt very slight understeer. I'm going back to 32 psi in the front to see what that's like with 36 psi in the rear. I think that 32/34 is probably more on the money.

Archived